Scope and Responsibilities
The Senior Vice President and Chief Advancement Officer (SVP) will report to the president of the university, serve as a member of the president's cabinet, be a key liaison to the Board of Trustees Committee on Advancement, and be responsible for the design, implementation and outcomes of the ambitious, integrated fundraising and alumni relations efforts of the university. The advancement function at DePaul includes principal and major gifts, board relations, annual and special giving, planned gifts, corporate and foundation relations, and alumni relations. The SVP will act as the university's Chief Advancement Officer and will be responsible for including relationship building, cultivation, solicitation,
volunteer management and the mission of DePaul in the work of the unit. In addition, as a member of the president's cabinet, the SVP will participate in institution-wide strategic planning as well as the development of communications and marketing strategies.
The SVP will be responsible for leading and inspiring a team of close to 80 and creating an integrated, comprehensive, data-informed model of advancement intended to strengthen and diversify its fundraising in order to lay a foundation for DePaul’s long-term strength. Success in this role will require an ambitious, collaborative leader capable of working across the university to build strong partnerships among the various stakeholders of DePaul, particularly the faculty and academic communities and the communications, public relations and marketing, enrollment management, finance, athletics and student services divisions of the university.
The SVP will be responsible for creating a highly functioning team that connects to the following six priorities of DePaul:
1. Deepen our commitment to DePaul’s Catholic, Vincentian and urban mission
2. Ensure a welcoming, engaging, diverse and inclusive campus environment
3. Excel in preparing all students for global citizenship and success.
4. Expand access to a portfolio of high-quality, affordable academic programs that meet student, workforce and societal needs.
5. Elevate academic excellence and embrace a culture of creativity and discovery.
6. Employ bold approaches to ensure DePaul’s continued fiscal strength for future generations
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Design, manage and execute a comprehensive campaign for DePaul
• Develop and implement a comprehensive, creative and ambitious annual fundraising program for the university
• Lead the development of major gifts strategies as well as the cultivation and solicitation of a portfolio of donors
• Bring a data-driven lens to decision-making; lead a team in the mining and analysis of data to inform strategic advancement decisions. Lead the development of predictive analytic measures to inform the work of the advancement team.
• Manage, plan and oversee financial needs and possess an astute understanding of university finances and the relationships among academic priorities; experience setting and overseeing budgets and track record of growing resources.
• Assess, build and engage the advancement division and its members; develop the team and infrastructure needed to meet ambitious fundraising goals
• Lead strategic enhancement of a “next-generation” operation that supports the creative engagement of alumni with the campus community and each other
• Build and lead a team in the reinvigoration of individual, alumni and planned giving, donor relations and major gifts
• Collaborate with the president, provost, deans, faculty and administrators across the campus to build community and define fundraising priorities. Develop positive and productive relationships with a wide range of stakeholders including the board, faculty, students, staff, alumni, community partners and donors.
• Build and lead a team grounded in the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion as well as the mission of DePaul
• Serve as a compelling representative of DePaul in the community
• Work across DePaul to create a culture of philanthropy among academic leaders, staff and students.
• Perform other duties as needed
Key Selection Criteria
• Bachelor's degree, with an advanced degree strongly preferred
• A minimum of 10 years of experience in senior level development positions at the director level or higher
• Experience directly cultivating, soliciting and closing major and planned gifts in the seven- and eight figure range
• Proven competencies in the areas of major gifts acquisition, planned giving, corporate and foundation relations, alumni engagement, annual and special giving, donor relations and data-driven decision-making.
• Proven experience designing, executing and completing major comprehensive campaigns for complex organizations.
• A fundamental commitment to the academic mission of the university and a personal interest in the academic life of DePaul
• A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
• A strategic mindset and demonstrated ability to be data driven, analytical and creative in developing fundraising experiences
• The demonstrated ability to navigate a complex academic/professional community; the ability to build bridges and strong collaborative relationships with all members of the university
• Proven experience using and analyzing data to make strategic fundraising decisions, including the use of predictive analytics
• Proven experience identifying, training, motivating and managing volunteers
• Exceptional and demonstrated strategic ability to craft clear, comprehensive and creative operational plans for complex organizations that inspire individual giving and connection to the university
• An ability to build, lead and inspire a diverse and highly productive team
• History of successfully translating vision into programmatic initiatives
• Creativity and innovation with the ability to develop people and programming that are centered on the university's core mission
• A collaborative style that seeks inclusion and connects with all parts of the university
• Demonstrated history of successfully effecting change and leading transformation within a large complex organization, building and driving teams of diverse individuals towards shared goals across an organization
Personal / Professional Attributes
• Strong mission orientation and interest in the long-term success of DePaul
• The ability to represent DePaul with a high degree of professionalism, integrity and inspire and excite donors to give generously by making a compelling case for the university's priorities
• A strong and mature self-image characterized by an impeccable sense of personal and professional propriety
• Honesty, integrity, self-confidence, patience and a sense of humor
• Leadership skills that promote teamwork, enable staff and create a positive, energized working environment
• Strategic planning skills, along with the ability to develop and streamline processes, provide follow-through and design measures of accountability
• Strong organizational and management skills, with the ability to develop programs and people, delegate, provide focus and monitor performance
• Superior interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to listen, foster relationships, garner respect and instill confidence
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion at the individual, team and institutional levels
• Exceptional writing skills, including the ability to compose, edit and develop documents collaboratively and teach others how to communicate effectively
DHR Global is assisting DePaul University in this search. Initial screening of the applications and nominations will continue until an appointment is made. Individuals who wish to nominate a candidate should submit a brief letter of nomination including contact information for the nominee. Application materials should include a resume, cover letter, and fundraising history. Applications and nominations are now being accepted. For best consideration, please submit application materials as soon as
Submission of documents as separate PDF attachments is strongly encouraged. Inquiries, nominations, and application materials should be directed to DHR Global via the email: email@example.com.