The Department of Political Science at Arkansas State University invites applications for a pretenure-track position at the level of assistant professor, beginning fall 2023.
The position is open with respect to any aspect of political behavior (comparative perspectives are openly considered), although candidates whose research and teaching interests are in race and ethnic politics and/or the study of under-represented/marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply. Candidates who have a strong theoretical and empirical background with the ability to teach advanced research methods at the undergraduate and graduate level are preferred.
The Department also seeks to attract a candidate who can enhance the department’s course offerings in the Masters program in political science, and who can increase the department’s mission towards continuing diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Teaching load of the pre-tenure faculty is normally twelve hours per semester with the option for a course release dependent on research productivity
- Faculty workload also includes research, creative activity, service, and professional development in the best interest of the students and community at large
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, skills, and abilities required or applicable to the position responsibilities and area of specialization, including special abilities
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Additional hours as requested and/or needed
Regular and reliable attendance
Please note: all position postings close at 12:00 A.M. CST on the position closing date
All items listed below are requirements must be submitted in order for your file to be considered complete:
(1) A statement of purpose indicating research and teaching interests and credentials
(2) Curriculum Vitae
(3) Graduate transcripts
(4) Evidence of teaching ability
(5) A Writing sample (a peer reviewed article that was recently published or dissertation chapter will suffice,)
(6) three letters of recommendation
Review of applications will begin on November 1, 2022. We expect to begin contacting candidates the week of November 7 with preliminary interviews taking place the week of November 14. We expect to conduct on-campus interviews the weeks of November 28 and December 5 with final hiring decisions made by December 16, 2022
Arkansas State University is a comprehensive public research university located approximately 70 miles northwest of Memphis, TN. The department offers a well-rounded curriculum to its more than 100 majors. The department also offers two graduate programs—an MA in Political Science and a NASPAA-accredited MPA program
An earned PhD is preferred, but candidates who are advanced ABDs will be considered at the rank of temporary instructor until the dissertation is defended