Career Opportunity Number
Student Financial Specialist
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Initial Screen Date:
* Associate’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration or
* One (1) year experience in accounting/finance support or related
* Minimum Qualification can be substituted with an equivalent
combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully
perform the essential duties of the job.
Preference will be given to individuals who possess
* Two (2) years’ experience in past due account collections
* Experience in Peoplesoft/Metrosoft
* Knowledgeable in reading student account’s in Metrosoft or a
higher education software application
* Phone and/or in-person customer service skills
* Evidence of basic bookkeeping/cash handling skills
* Basic understanding of financial aid processes and federal rules
* Experience in Microsoft Office suite
* Demonstrated ability to prioritize and multi-task
Normal department hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday
through Thursday and from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Friday.
However, may be required to work other shifts to include evenings
and/or weekends, especially during peak periods. Schedule subject
to change based upon department needs.
The annual salary is $37,303 . A competitive benefit package is
Special Instructions to Applicants
* Cover letter and resume are required and must be attached to the
online application in order to receive any consideration.
* Interviews will be conducted by a hiring committee.
* We offer all full-time employees medical, dental, vision, and
life insurance plans, as well as retirement, 403b, employee
assistance, and flexible spending and health savings account. We
have a generous time-off policy including vacation, sick/personal
days, holidays, and paid spring and winter break.
We can’t wait to show you why Metropolitan Community College is a
great place to work!
This is the first level in the Student Financial series. Incumbents
provide support in student account collections and financial aid
fund related activities to ensure data accuracy, timely payments
and collections, and effective accounting controls. Major duties
and responsibilities include: notifying and collecting overdue
accounts receivable; identifying, researching, and resolving
account discrepancies; performing centralized function of
calculation, communication, and return of federal financial aid
funds; adjusting awards according to federal regulations; reviewing
financial aid refunds and regular refunds; maintaining records,
files, and accounting system; preparing accounting
reports/statements; and providing assistance in audit or other
* EOE /M/F/Vet/Disabled
Typical Essential Duties
Reviews student accounts to detect errors, ensure information
accuracy, and identify debt; work may involve utilizing applicable
software, and coordinating with instructors and the Centralized
Financial Aid division to verify student attendance and other
information, and to resolve account discrepancies.
Notifies students or other individuals and collects overdue
accounts receivable; work may involve making/receiving phone calls,
informing students regarding balances that are due or guiding
students regarding appropriate procedures, establishing payment
options for accounts, and documenting collection activities.
Manages pre-collection accounts identified by Student Financial Aid
Managers, MCC business Office Managers, and/or online payment plan
Tracks delinquent accounts; prepares, prints, and mails delinquency
letters and plan coupons; processes and posts returned checks; and
posts student account payments and deposits.
Performs Centralized Financial Aid division duties to include
calculating, communicating, and returning Federal financial aid
funds; work may involve reviewing financial aid refunds and regular
refunds, and adjusting awards according to Federal
Prepares accounting reports/statements, and maintains records,
files, and accounting systems.
Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
This job description is intended to represent only the key areas of
responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending
on the business needs of the department.
• Computers and related software applications;
• Basic accounting principles and practices;
• Data entry techniques;
• Mathematical concepts;
• Customer service principles;
• Automated accounting software packages;
• Accounts receivable and general ledger reporting
• Grant application procedures;
• Recordkeeping principles;
• Applicable Federal, State, and/or local laws, rules, and
• Using a computer and applicable software applications;
• Providing customer service;
• Applying applicable Federal, State, and/or local laws, rules, and
• Performing mathematical calculations;
• Balancing accounts;
• Reconciling financial records and information;
• Operating standard office equipment;
• Tabulating, recording, and balancing transactions;
• Researching and resolving account discrepancies;
• Utilizing communication and interpersonal skills as applied to
interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, and
others sufficient to exchange or convey information.
No staffing table positions.
Positions in this class typically require: reaching, standing,
walking, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing and
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally
and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to
lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the
human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time.
Walking and standing are required only occasionally.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- What is the highest level of education you have as conferred
through an official transcript?
- Have not completed High School/GED
- High School/GED
- Associate's degree
- Bachelor's degree
- Master's degree
- Doctorate degree
- How much experience in accounting/finance support or related
area do you have, as supported by the employment history listed on
- less than one year
- between 1 and 2 years
- between 2 and 3 years
- between 3 and 4 years
- between 4 and 5 years
- five or more years
- How did you learn about this position?
- Academic Keys
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- Dos Mundos
- Employee referral
- Inside Higher Ed
- Kansas City Call
- Kansas City Globe
- Kansas City Hispanic News
- MCC Website
- Other Source
- Cover Letter
- Transcript 01
- Letter of Recommendation 01
- Letter of Recommendation 02
- Letter of Recommendation 03
- Letter of Recommendation 04