The Senior Programmer Analyst is a senior member of the Information Technology division and helps to set the technical direction for the various functional systems and applications especially Ellucian Banner ERP. The position requires a mature individual, “hands-on,” knowledgeable, forward-thinking, and always ready to go the extra mile. The Senior Programmer Analyst defines, develops, tests, analyzes, and maintains software applications in support of business requirements and includes writing, coding, testing, and analyzing software programs and applications. The position also documents requirements, reviews established scope, and adheres to determined strategy for implementing systems and applications to achieve business goals including gathering and prioritizing customer requirements and working closely with the various functional users to meet customer satisfaction goals. The position also participates as a team member to perform small application development projects in all areas of application design and development, enhancements and fixes and creating and customized reporting needs in support of the university’s Ellucian ERP suite and related third party applications. The individual must be comfortable working independently and as part of a high-performing, collaborative environment while employing sound judgment and decision-making.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Thorough knowledge of Ellucian Banner ERP including the Student, Financial Aid, Finance, Human Resources, Accounts Receivable, and Advancement Module.
• Integrates third-party applications with Banner (especially using Ethos).
• Ability to convert designs and specifications into PL/SQL, or SQL.
• Work with users in various administrative departments to assess, train and assist with the implementation of Banner administrative software solutions in higher education.
• Designs and writes functional specifications based on consultations with higher education departments regarding Banner ERP and other third-party applications.
• Maintains an understanding of new Banner releases and assists with patches and updates
• Creates test plans and runs tests to find errors confirming specifications have been met.
• Stays current with technology best practices by reading, analyzing, and interpreting general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and/or governmental regulations.
• Develops and writes reports, business correspondence, process flows, and procedural
• Effectively presents information and responds to questions from administrators, directors, managers, faculty, clients, and the general public.
• Provides technical assistance by responding to inquiries regarding errors, problems, or questions with systems and applications.
• Trains end users and/or technical support staff to use and support systems and applications.
• Assists with the configuration and maintenance of Banner and related solutions.
• Provides research, problem diagnosis, and resolution for application related issues and provides analysis of programs developed by others for performance considerations.
• Supports upgrades to enterprise business systems requiring database changes; participates in database-related migrations to cloud-based resources including Microsoft Azure.
• Establishes database access control to ensure safety and security of the databases.
• Assists with monitoring performance of databases and tunes all instances of the databases if necessary to ensure the overall health of the systems and applications.
Experience and Qualifications:
• Higher Ed experience is a must.
• Experience working with Ellucian Banner 9 and Ellucian Cloud.
• Experience with other Ellucian applications such as Banner CRM, Degree Works, Ellucian Workflow, Banner Self Service (SSB), and CampusLogic.
• Experience with SQL principally with Oracle and MS SQL or other relational databases to write simple to complex PL/SQL queries, scripts, triggers and API’s to develop code into packages and extensions. Knowledge of best practices when dealing with relational databases.
• Experience with Linux and Windows OS and has a basic understanding of networking.
• Knowledge of Learning Management systems and specifically D2L Brightspace.
• Experience with integrating third party applications such as Argos, FormFusion, Nelnet, PeopleAdmin, Adirondack, Transact, EAB Navigate, Parchment, National Student Clearinghouse, Cayuse, etc. are highly desirable.
• Ability to communicate technical situations to non-technical end users and business units.
Minimum Job Requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, management information systems or equivalent and 1 year of technical experience directly related to programming and/or analyst role; OR a minimum of 2 years post-secondary education in a relevant field and at least 3 years of technical experience directly related to programming and/or analyst role; OR minimum 7 years of technical experience directly related to programming and/or analyst role.
• Proven technical experience in overseeing the design, development, and implementation of software systems, applications, and related products.
• Proven technical experience with systems planning, security principles, and general software management best practices.
• Adaptable, flexible, and able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
• Be proactive to a solution.
• Courteous, professional, and patient with the clients.
Central State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer