The Senior Network Engineer is a senior member of the Information Technology division and helps to set
the technical direction for network administration and security and the university’s overall digital
infrastructure. This position requires a mature individual, “hands-on,” knowledgeable, forward-thinking,
and always ready to go the extra mile. The individual must be comfortable working independently and
as part of a high-performing, collaborative environment while employing sound judgment and decision making.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Configure, implement, and maintain all security platforms and related applications/software,
such as end-point security, Anti-SPAM, Aruba router/switches, Aruba AP controllers’ intrusion
detection, Palo-Alto firewalls, cryptography systems, SIEM.
2. Plan and appraise ongoing assessment of antivirus, application control, firewall, SIEM, VPN, SSL,
intrusion detection, and other network component policies
3. Guarantee network security best practices are executed through auditing: router, change
control, switch, firewall configurations, and monitoring.
4. Responsible for periodic vulnerability testing and leading remediation projects
5. Minimum two years of experience identifying threats and developing appropriate protection
6. Evaluate new technologies. Make recommendations based on assessing new technologies for
their applicability to the university’s needs.
7. Designs, implements, and maintains security levels to restrict and block unauthorized access to
servers and services.
8. Analyze, troubleshoot, track, and repair complex enterprise systems using change and problem
9. Excellent analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving abilities.
10. Designs and develops integrated solutions to meet the university’s business requirements or
11. Performs and evaluates cost analyses and vendor comparisons of
software/hardware/application to ensure cost-effective and efficient operations, measures
feasibility of various approaches, and makes recommendations.
12. Provides work guidance to less experienced personnel.
13. Assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects, and demands.
14. Maintaining confidentiality of work-related information and materials.
15. Effectively using organizational and planning skills, including attention to detail and follow-through.
16. Must have strong interpersonal skills.
17. May perform other general and related duties as assigned. After-hours and on-call service may be expected.
Experience and Qualifications:
1. Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or related field plus 3-5 years of progressive hands-on experience in network administration, deployment & support, or security is required.
2. Master’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or related field plus 6-8 years of progressive hands-on experience in network administration, deployment & support, or security is preferred.
3. Proven technical experience overseeing the design, development, and implementation of network/security systems, applications, and related products.
4. Proven technical experience with systems planning, security principles, and general management best practices.
5. Extensive technical know-how of security network devices (routers, AP controllers, switches, antivirus, firewalls, cryptography, SIEM) and any other security/network hardware/application/software tools
6. Analytical skills for thoroughly examining computer systems and networks and for identifying vulnerabilities
7. Experience configuring router/switches, firewall, ACL, SSL, VPN, and other networks/security-related systems/applications.
8. An attention to detail that prevents cyber attacks
9. Resourcefulness or ingenuity for anticipating security risks and implementing new ways to neutralize them
10. Problem-solving skills for quickly uncovering and fixing network flaws
11. Communication skills to train co-workers and leaders on threats and protection protocols
12. Resolve any vulnerability or security issues that may arise.
13. Ensure periodic testing of the organization’s network and systems from a security point of view.
14. Be aware of the latest threats in the cybersecurity domain to guide and advise the CIO.
15. Experience with network performance monitoring & fine-tuning
16. Experience with backup technologies.
17. Proven analytical and problem-solving skills.
18. Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
19. Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment with technical and non-technical colleagues.
20. Highly self-motivated with a strong work ethic.
21. Adaptable, flexible, and able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
22. Strong customer service orientation.
Minimum Job Requirements:
1. Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field plus ten years of progressive hands-on experience in a digital enterprise environment.
2. Proven technical experience overseeing the design, development, and implementation of network/security systems, applications, and related products.
3. Track, record, and monitor any network security issue using SIEM and related tools.
4. Proven technical experience with systems planning, security principles, and general software management best practices.
5. Resolve any vulnerability or network/systems security issues.
6. Adaptable, flexible, and able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
7. Be proactive in a solution.
8. Served as a subject matter expert on network security, network administration, and telecommunications technology
9. Courteous, professional, and patient with the clients.
10. Good team player, self-confident, motivated, and independent
11. Excellent communication skills