The PhET Interactive Simulations Project (http://phet.colorado.edu)
University of Colorado Boulder has an opening for a Digital/Video
Communications Specialist. This position supports communication and
outreach amongst an international community of inclusive
technologists and researchers through creation of short videos and
animations shared through high-quality social media, and community
website management. PhET’s research and development efforts include
numerous collaborations; this position is part of an initiative
contributing to the advancement of inclusive design, research, and
development practices across PhET’s research community.
This is a temporary position primarily funded by the NSF grant
“AccelNet: Catalyzing International Convergence Research Networks
to Transform Human-Computer Relationships” which has the goal of
supporting international research networks to advance inclusive
design of emerging technologies. Inclusively designed technologies
are designed from the outset to be capable of supporting a broad
span of human diversity, including users with disabilities.
This position would be ideal for someone looking for flexible,
remote, part-time work with high impact at the intersection of
technology design and accessibility. The successful candidate will
be employed by the University of Colorado Boulder. The candidate
will join the PhET Interactive Simulation project's growing team of
20+ full and part-time faculty, researchers, teachers, software
developers, and staff. More information on PhET can be found at:
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The PhET Team
is a leader in inclusive design for highly
interactive technologies used in science and mathematics teaching.
This position is part of a PhET initiative contributing to the
advancement of inclusive design, research, and development
practices across PhET’s research community.
The PhET team is dedicated to high-quality STEM education for all
students, disseminating PhET simulations as open (free) education
resources globally and pioneering approaches for making interactive
content accessible to all learners. We are a passionate, creative,
and productive group, including STEM education, simulation, and
inclusive design experts, education researchers, software
engineers, quality assurance specialists, and more. Our project is
a blend of an academic research project, an outreach project, and
an innovative education technology company, housed within the
Department of Physics and working with diverse partners at CU
Boulder and around the world.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Work closely with PhET leadership to produce and share
digital/video content. The successful applicant’s responsibilities
Email List & Social Media Updates:
- Create short videos and animations telling the story of
research developments, technology creations, development
challenges, and personal narratives of researchers for an audience
including researchers and the general public.
- Support video capture of relevant footage (potentially
in-person or remotely, depending on the successful candidate’s
location and available grant funding for travel).
- Edit short lectures and discussion videos recorded by the PhET
Team and collaborators to create a collection of educational
resources for the research community.
- Create, schedule, and manage a communication planning calendar
for PhET’s research community.
- Communicate with members of PhET’s research community through
an email list to support the drafting, editing, and publication of
updates to the community.
What You Should Know
- Assist with the setup of a small, dedicated research community
- Co-manage with PhET leadership the research community website,
including editing and publishing content to update the community on
new community activities and outcomes.
- Create quarterly reports on growth and evolution of the
research community using basic website analytics.
What We Can Offer
- This is a part-time (40%) position (16 hours/week), but we will
consider candidates interested in the range of part-time from
20-50% (8-20 hours/week).
- Timeline for reviewing applications: We plan to begin reviewing
applications August 22, 2022. We will continue reviewing
applications until the position is filled, up to Sept. 15, 2022. We
plan to communicate an update on the position to all applicants by
or before September 30, 2022.
- The start date is flexible. We will consider start dates as
early as Sep 1, 2022 and as late as Nov 1, 2022, with a preference
for an early start date.
- Candidates can work remotely in the United States (US residents
- All University of Colorado Boulder employees are required to
align with the
campus COVID-19 vaccine requirement. New employees must provide
proof of vaccination or receive a medical or religious exemption
within 30 days of employment.
- The annual starting salary range at 40% time for this position
- Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
- This part-time position is eligible for paid vacation and sick
leave. However, this position is only eligible for benefits,
including medical, dental, retirement, tuition benefit, and ECO
Pass at 50% time. Positions under 50% time are not eligible for
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be ambitious. Be pioneering. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What You Will Need
- A Bachelor’s Degree.
- 2+ years of experience as a communications professional,
including creating digital/video content for social media and/or
- Experience working in a collaborative, remote work,
What We Would Like You To Have
- Outstanding storytelling, content creation, editing and motion
- Experience creating short form videos for websites, using Adobe
Rush, Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, or similar software.
- Proficient in the world of digital media trends.
- Experience with digital/video content creation for workplace
settings, such as professional development, academic outreach,
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, coordinate and
- A Bachelor’s Degree in communications, digital media, film,
marketing, advertising, journalism, or closely related field.
- Sophisticated knowledge of Final Cut Pro, Adobe Rush, Premiere
Pro, Audition, After Effects, Lightroom and Photoshop.
- Experience with common editing techniques and advanced
- Knowledge or experience in digital accessibility, including
video captioning and audio description.
- Knowledge or experience with Office 365 and Sharepoint.
- Knowledge or experience with graphic design, branding and
maintaining a brand identity across media and platforms.
- Personal interest or passion in advancing accessibility for
people with disabilities.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume, including at least one link to an example of
digital/video content you created.
- A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background
and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and
responsibilities of the position.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For
consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: