The University of Wyoming seeks a Vice Provost for Online and Continuing Education
Click here to view position profile: https://summitsearchsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/UW_Vice_Provost_OCE_Profile.pdf
Location: Laramie, Wyoming
The University of Wyoming is the state's only university, public or private. It comprises 10 colleges, a campus in Casper, and a statewide network of research, outreach, and service facilities. To fulfill its mission to serve the people of Wyoming and to realize its potential across the nation and the globe, UW must have a robust portfolio of online degree and certificate programs that are strategically managed and coordinated at the university level. It must also provide non-academic continuing and professional education opportunities that serve the needs of Wyoming citizens.
The Vice Provost (VP) for Online and Continuing Education will be responsible for overall leadership in achieving these goals, growing revenue, and generating a positive return on investment in online and continuing education offerings. The VP will report to the Provost and Executive Vice President and serve as a member of the Academic Affairs leadership team. The Office of Online and Continuing Education will be expected to serve the people of the state and beyond through expanded online academic and non-academic education opportunities; grow enrollment nationally and internationally by developing a leadership position in online and continuing education; be financially self-supporting while enhancing revenue for the University through its programs; and leverage collaboration across the University in the development, administration, and marketing of program and course offerings.
The VP will work in collaboration with the colleges, a UW Online and Continuing Education Steering Committee, and University administration to identify the policies, personnel, systems, business model, and resources needed to achieve the above-stated goals. The VP will be responsible for the development and implementation of programs, hiring of staff to fulfill strategic priorities, financial and resource plans, the collection of data and assessment of outcomes, regulatory and compliance requirements, report development, promotion of the University of Wyoming brand nationally and internationally, and identifying opportunities that advance the mission and goals of the University of Wyoming.
- Proven track record in developing and leading online program offerings. The ability to execute business, strategic, and operating plans. A robust understanding of online education at the graduate and undergraduate levels and the associated accreditation considerations for higher education. Ability to communicate and work effectively with units across the University. Commitment to supporting the important work of instructional designers and meeting online accessibility standards. An understanding of continuing and professional education programming. Demonstrated management and leadership capabilities and experience, including supervision of diverse teams and/or coordination of decentralized activities. Adept with marketing and market research strategies, including an understanding of the global online education marketplace and strategies for being competitive in this market. Understanding of and experience with a shared-governance environment. Entrepreneurial spirit, willing to assess and accept reasonable risks. An established network of national and preferably international colleagues. An earned terminal degree in the candidate's academic or professional discipline is highly desirable; graduate degree required.
About the Institution:
Nestled amid the beauty of two mountain ranges in southeastern Wyoming, you will find the nationally recognized teaching and research institution, the University of Wyoming (UW). Established as a land-grant institution in 1886 when Wyoming was still a territory, UW has since grown to nearly 200 areas of study, drawing approximately 12,000 students from all 50 states and 83 countries. UW is known for its accomplished faculty and world-class facilities, its low student/faculty ratio, and quality undergraduate and graduate programs within its colleges of Arts & Sciences, Agriculture, Life Sciences, Natural Resources, Business, Education, Engineering & Physical Sciences, Health Sciences, Law, School of Energy Resources, and Haub School of Environment and Natural Resources. To learn more: http://www.uwyo.edu
Throughout its existence, UW has been the only four-year university in the state of Wyoming, though it maintains close relationships with the state’s eight community colleges. UW’s global impact begins with innovative undergraduate and graduate research opportunities and extends through state and federal partnerships and recent initiatives such as the School of Computing, the Wyoming Institute for Humanities Research and the School of Energy Resources. UW has played important roles in the lives of students, Wyoming residents, and communities for 136 years.
- Recognized by Forbes in 2019 as one of America’s Best Value Colleges.
- Rated as a “Top 15 Outdoor Adventure College” by Outside magazine.
- Wyoming ranks #4 in the U.S. News and World Report’s “Best States for Higher Education.”
The University community is working collaboratively to help the University reinforce and strengthen its reputation as it adapts to changing economic factors in Wyoming and beyond. UW is currently in the process of updating its strategic plan which will lay the foundation for its new organizational structure, commitment to inclusion, student success, entrepreneurial spirit, and research that stimulates economic development in Wyoming. It’s an exciting time to be a part of UW as it embarks on new and innovative opportunities.
Location: Located in Laramie, Wyoming, a town of approximately 31,000 with a unique blend of sophistication and western hospitality, UW not only provides an environment for success but also offers varied academic and lifestyle opportunities. Laramie is a great place to live and work as it boasts a reasonable cost of living with no state income tax, as well as incredible outdoor recreational opportunities, an eclectic downtown area, and a great public school system.
Why Consider the Opportunity:
- University Leadership. Led by President Edward Seidel and Provost and Executive Vice President Kevin Carman, the University is pursuing an exciting agenda focused on research, public service, and academic program development. Impact. The Vice Provost will join an organization committed to increasing its beneficial impact in the state, region, nation, and world. Location. Laramie is a great place to live and work, offering a vibrant downtown area, varied outdoor recreational activities, and a great public school system. The position will provide opportunities for exploration and collaboration with educational institutions across Wyoming. Environment. Warm, collegial, supportive people and work environment. Benefits and Retirement Plan. Attractive benefits package includes a retirement benefit that features a state contribution of 14.94% of an employee’s gross salary.
The University of Wyoming, in consultation with Summit Search Solutions, Inc., will begin a confidential review of application materials immediately and continue until the position is filled; parties who apply September 26, 2022 will be given first consideration. Please submit a CV/resume and a brief letter of interest upon application. All applications and nominations will be held in confidence. To apply online, go to https://theapplicantmanager.com/jobs?pos=su214
For more information or to offer recommendations or nominations:
Summit Search Solutions, Inc.
Direct: (585) 880-7550
Members of under-represented groups are encouraged to apply. The University’s policy has been and will continue to be, one of nondiscrimination, offering equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, religion, color, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, creed, ancestry, political belief, pregnancy, or other status protected by state and federal statutes or University regulations. The University’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all matters relating to its education programs and activities including recruiting, hiring, training, compensation, benefits, promotions, demotions, transfers, and all other terms and conditions of employment. To review the EEO is the Law Poster and its Supplement, please see The Diversity & Fairness page.
Pursuant to Wyoming State law, W.S. 19-14-102, as amended, an honorably discharged veteran who has been a resident of the state of Wyoming for one (1) year or more at any time prior to the date when the veteran applies for employment, or any surviving spouse who was married to such veteran at the time of the veteran’s death, who is receiving federal survivor benefits based on the veteran’s military service and is applying for employment, shall receive an interview preference during the applicant screening process with the University of Wyoming. At the time of application, the applicant must possess the business capacity, competency, education or other qualifications required for the position. If disabilities do not materially interfere with performance of job duties, disabled veterans will be given preference over able-bodied veterans. Appropriate documentation of veteran status must be provided at the time of application as outlined in the application process. No preference will be given to a veteran currently employed by a public department.
The University of Wyoming conducts background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment. Offers of employment are contingent upon the completion of the background check.
Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.