Hudson County Community College
Position Vacancy Notice
Instructional Designer, Full-Time
Posting date: August 15, 2022
Hudson County Community College (HCCC) is an award-winning, comprehensive urban college serving one of the most historic and ethnically diverse areas of the United States. HCCC students were born in 119 countries and speak 29 different languages. The diversity and the multitude of our community’s cultures, life experiences, skills and aspirations, are the very values and traits that empower us to be productive and caring members of our society.
HCCC embodies an unwavering commitment to student success and an intentional focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion. In 2019, the President’s Advisory Council on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (PACDEI) was instituted to develop new levels of understanding and access and advance the College’s commitment to transparency and inclusion. We are proud of the differences we share, which are the foundation for the life changing and transformational education we offer and the social mobility we provide to the communities we serve.
HCCC has three campuses located just minutes from Manhattan: the Journal Square campus in Jersey City and North Hudson Campus in Union City are adjacent to vital transportation hubs; the Secaucus Center has abundant parking. Fully accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, the College offers courses and classes in a wide variety of disciplines to the people and businesses of Hudson County, one of the most ethnically diverse areas of the United States. The College was recently recognized with the 2021 Association of Community College Trustees (ACCT) Northeast Regional Equity Award, and the 2021 INSIGHT Into Diversity’s Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award. In 2016 the Gabert Library was one of three academic libraries in the United States to receive the Excellence in Academic Libraries Award from the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL), and in 2019 the HCCC Tutoring Center received the Frank L. Christ Outstanding Learning Center Award for Two-Year Institutions. In 2019, the College joined Achieving the Dream, a network of high achieving community colleges, part of its expanding effort toward continuous improvement in student success.
HCCC has partnerships with every major four-year college and university in the greater New Jersey-New York area and beyond, accommodating seamless transfer of credits for further undergraduate and graduate education. Hudson County Community College is proud of its culture of care and invites applications from those wishing to join a community dedicated to promoting student success in all forms.
The goal of the Center for Online Learning (COL) is to enable students to successfully pursue their studies online, meet their educational goals, and engage in life-long learning. Comprised of a team of instructional technologists, instructional designers, and a system administrator, the COL team works closely with faculty to develop, revise and make available a wide variety of interactive, accessible, and technology-rich online and hybrid courses. The COL also administers Canvas, the College’s Learning Management System, and its related technologies. Additionally, the COL team provides support and assistance to faculty and students in the use of teaching and learning resources through workshops, documentation, email, and phone.
Position Summary/Job Description
The Center for Online Learning (COL) at Hudson County Community College seeks an Instructional Designer to lead in the design, development, and maintenance of fully online, remote, hybrid, and enhanced learning experiences across a variety of disciplines. This position works collaboratively with an instructional design team composed of faculty, librarians, instructional technologists, multimedia specialists and other COL staff. The Instructional Designer will support HCCC faculty in addressing complex teaching and learning issues related to instructional design and online course development, and will provide training and professional development on distance learning technology and best practices in online teaching and learning to the college community.
- Lead and collaborate in the design, development, and maintenance of fully online, remote, hybrid, and enhanced learning experiences across a variety of disciplines.
- Consult on the development of course outcomes and objectives, faculty-generated course materials, interactive courseware, multimedia assets, assignments and assessments. Develop plans for applying instructional best practices and technology to specific learning or teaching problems.
- Ensure courses and content meet Universal Design for learning and accessibility standards.
- Evaluate and improve online courses based on nationally recognized quality standards.
- Provide faculty training and professional development that supports best practices in instructional design and delivery, and promote instructional innovation in the use of learning technologies that enhance teaching in online, remote, and hybrid instruction.
- Support faculty and students in the use of online course content.
- Support student technology issues and troubleshoot technologies relevant to online learning. Research emerging technologies, evolving standards, new applications, and online learning tools for further evaluation and implementation. Track, prioritize, and communicate about multiple projects in a deadline-driven environment. Participate in and support campus-wide initiatives and projects. Complete other responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Instructional Design or a related discipline (Master’s preferred).
- 2+ years of experience required in instructional design, educational technology, and/or in teaching online, including assessment of student learning outcomes. Demonstrated experience with one or more of the major Learning Management Systems, including Canvas, Blackboard, Desire2Learn, or Moodle (preference given to Canvas experience) Experience with faculty or staff training and support. Demonstrated ability to interact with a culturally diverse population and to effectively and respectfully function and communicate within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities, and cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with a culturally diverse population and to effectively and respectfully function and communicate within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities, and cultural backgrounds.
Closing Date of Applications
September 9th, 2022
For full consideration please send resume, cover letter, salary expectations, and a list of three professional references to the Center for Online Learning at applytoCOL@hccc.edu.
As a New Jersey First Act Employer, new employees must establish a primary residence in New Jersey within one year unless an exemption applies.
HCCC is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We are committed to ensuring a diverse and inclusive learning and working environment. Decisions on employment are made on the basis of the qualifications of an individual for the particular position being filled. Women, veterans and minorities are encouraged to apply.