About Massachusetts College of Liberal
At MCLA, we're here for all - and focused on each - of our
students. As a 2019 Top Ten Public College, classes are taught by
educators who care deeply about teaching, and about seeing their
students thrive on every level of their lives. Nearly 93% of our
graduates land competitive jobs or are accepted by some of the best
grad schools in the country. We engage in the most nationally
relevant conversations by hosting some of the most celebrated
thinkers and speakers on our campus in the Berkshires of
Massachusetts, an area known for its mountain ranges, hiking
trails, and panoramic views. Our home town of North Adams is
brimming with creative energy and the regional economy is booming
as a result. In nearly every way possible, the experience at MCLA
is designed to elevate you as an individual, a leader, and a
communicator, fully empowered to make your impression on the
MCLA is accepting applications for Director of Advancement
Operations. This full-time position serves as a confidential
assistant to the Vice President of Advancement in the areas of the
Office of Institutional Advancement's and MCLA Foundation Inc.'s
financial status and activities, their accounting requirements and
the maintenance of their financial records and financial systems.
This position interfaces with Administration & Finance,
Facilities Management, the Foundation's Treasurer (Board Member),
outside accounting firm, financial institutions, and many other
areas of the College, including but not limited to Financial Aid,
Student Accounts, Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and Athletics.
This position requires excellent knowledge of generally accepted
accounting principles, financial reporting requirements (internal
and external) and internal auditing.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for all accounting and auditing functions of the
Office of Institutional Advancement, MCLA Foundation and Alumni
Association, including but not limited to: donations; budgets;
financial and statistical reports; accounting entries; monthly,
quarterly and annual account reconciliations; and other periodic
budget and account reporting.
- Manages several key Foundation relationships in regard to
investments, property, endowment funds, and other assets.
- Develops and enforces all internal controls, policies and
procedures required by accounting standards, and manages the
performance, maintenance and utilization of the accounting
- Develops and enforces policies and procedures for all
Foundation activities, including cash receipts, gifts-in-kind, fund
tracking, year-end audits, office systems, reporting requirements,
and special events such as Athletics' Golf Classic.
- Investigates, coordinates and manages all legal, property and
tax matters for the Foundation. Responsible for the Foundation's
federal and state estimated tax reports, 1099 tax reporting,
electronic fund transfers, records retention, and working with the
auditors on the preparation and filing of all Foundation corporate
and tax returns.
- Reviews College accounting procedures to ensure conformance
with established reporting requirements, and educates Advancement
staff on budget and accounting procedures.
- Manages the preparation of Advancement and Foundation purchase
orders, and the payment of invoices. Prepares Foundation warrants
and checks for payment of expenses and gift distributions.
- Manages the fund history files and sub-fund accounting of
gifts, disbursements, transfers, and investment income on all
unrestricted, restricted and endowed funds. Calculates endowment
allocations in compliance with the individual endowed funds and the
endowment spending policy.
- Maintains a reconciliation and reporting process with the
college Academic Departments, Student Affairs, Athletics, Financial
Aid and Administration & Finance, and manages the distribution
of their respective scholarships, endowment allocations and
- Modifies system generated reports in accordance with internal
reporting needs and Financial Accounting Standards Board
requirements. Prepares the Foundation's monthly internal financial
reporting package which currently includes: Account
Reconciliations, Balance Sheet, Income Statement, Trial Balance,
General Journal, General Ledger, Cash Disbursement Journals and
Cash Receipts Journals.
- Monitors the Foundation's endowment and bank accounts. Works
effectively with the Foundation's investment committee,
representatives of the endowment's investment management firm, and
representatives of financial vendors with whom the Foundation
- Furnishes data analysis, reports and makes recommendations to
the members of the MCLA Foundation Finance and Internal Audit,
Bylaw, Endowment and Trust, Executive, Fundraising and Property
committees. Attends all Foundation board of directors meetings and
all relevant Foundation committee meetings.
- Furnishes data analysis, reports and makes recommendations to
Advancement colleagues in support of fundraising initiatives and
- Serves on the Vice President's management team, reviewing all
issues related to finance, gift processing, office operations and
- Serves as the primary Advancement staff liaison to the offices
of Administration & Finance, Computer Support and Facilities
- Oversees the daily operations of the Advancement Department to
ensure that the staff has adequate funding, supplies, equipment and
workspace to perform their duties. Aids staff in planning,
budgeting, and analyzing their activities in order to help them
achieve their goals.
- BA/BS in Accounting or related field.
- Minimum of five to seven years of full-time experience. Three
years in a management and/or operations position.
- Advancement experience in a higher education preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of daily operation of non-profit
- Excellent knowledge of fund and accrual accounting.
- Ability to maintain complex records and provide financial
statements on those records.
- Excellent knowledge of computing through use of different
financial and communicative software packages (i.e. Excel, Email,
Sage 50 Accounting, Blackbaud, etc.).
- Ability to function effectively in a complex office dealing
with highly confidential matters.
- Availability to work occasional nights and weekends
This is a full-time, benefited position in the APA bargaining unit.
The salary range for this position is $65,000-$75,000.
This position will remain open until filled.
It is the policy of Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts that all
employees be vaccinated against COVID-19 before they begin
employment. Proof of the COVID-19 vaccine is required of all
individuals hired by MCLA, to be verified after an offer of
employment has been made, and as part of the background check
process. Prospective employees may submit a request for exemption
based on a religious and/or medical basis, to Human
Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts is committed to a policy of
nondiscrimination and affirmative action in its educational
programs, activities and employment practices. The college complies
with all federal, state, and local laws and regulations advancing
equal employment. Applicants who will enrich the diversity of the
campus community are strongly encouraged to apply. Visit www.mcla.edu
Applicants should electronically submit a letter of interest,
resume and 3 letters of reference by clicking on the APPLY NOW