Student Leadership Coordinator
About the Opportunity
Summary of Position:
Reporting to the Director of the Center for Student Leadership,
Equity, and Excellence, the Coordinator for Student Leadership
assists in the advancement of college retention goals by fostering
a meaningful and inclusive campus life through leadership
development. This role is expected to be actively engaged in the
development of student leadership programs. The incumbent promotes
student and organizational excellence and best practices grounded
in student development and leadership frameworks/theories.
Key responsibilities of the position include the execution
and/or oversight of the following:
Leadership and Community Development
- Create and implement leadership development opportunities and
experiences for students and the wider Mills community.
- Assist in the development and implementation of comprehensive
leadership training and workshops for student staff.
- Planning and implementing the leadership development programs
not limited to student leadership conferences and other student
- Centers community and civic engagement for students.
- Uses theories and frameworks grounded in antiracism,
accessibility, equity, inclusion, and justice when developing and
implementing the leadership development
- Plan and implement volunteer service projects.
- Develop and manage collaborative partnerships with community
- Cultivate community service leadership opportunities in Oakland
and the surrounding Bay Area communities.
- Create and assess student learning outcomes for the
- Create reports and publications as needed e.g., operations,
programming, assessment, and administrative reports.
- Represent the department on Student Life, campus-wide, and
departmental committees as assigned.
- Supervise student workers in office and programming tasks and
participate in the hiring, training, and evaluation.
- Responsible for a thorough knowledge of applicable policies,
regulations, and laws, including those of the legally authorized
governing body; monitors compliance with and provides guidance
regarding such policies, regulations, and law.
- Manage budgets for areas of responsibility including
purchasing, expenses, forecasting and Concur submissions.
- Perform related duties as needed.
Physical, Mental, and Environmental Demands:
- Bachelor's degree and 3-5 years of experience. Master's degree
- Knowledge and experience of current practices and theories in
student leadership/student development
- Student or professional experience in leadership
frameworks/theories, social justice education, advocacy, and a
demonstrated commitment to promoting equity and inclusion.
- Demonstrated expertise in event planning and management.
- Knowledge of and practice engaging in social justice work
regarding power and privilege dynamics
- Ability to exhibit strong interpersonal skills with all levels
of College constituencies and members of the public.
- Ability to take appropriate steps to promote and sustain
effective working relationships within a diverse multicultural
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends as needed.
- Standing and sitting for long periods of time
- Occasionally work outdoors, depending on programming, possibly
in inclement weather
- Work often requires bending to adjust or work with office
- Work occasionally requires physical exertion such as lifting
heavy objects over 50 pounds
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking
to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and
staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its
forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect
that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, religion,
color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability
status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and
support of diversity and inclusion, please see
To apply, visit https://northeastern.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/careers/job/Oakland-CA/Student-Leadership-Coordinator_R108011