About Student Affairs
Student Affairs is comprised of over 20 departments and is focused on supporting student well-being and success with the ultimate goal of assisting students in discovering their passion, people, and purpose. To that end, we aim to foster an environment that encourages employees to embrace innovative service delivery methods to best meet the needs of our students. As a result, students have the opportunity to participate in the creation of campus culture, collaboratively working alongside professional staff, student leaders, and academic partners.
Student Affairs is committed to the grounding of our programs, procedures, and policies in the tenets of anti-racism and inclusion. We recognize the continued importance of education and accountability that promote equity and social justice. Our expectation is that all employees are engaged in this work to create a welcoming environment that supports the success of both students and staff and ensures they have the opportunity to be fully incorporated into university life.
This position leads the Student Affairs’ Assessment & Analytics Department and reports to and works closely with the Special Assistant for Strategic Initiatives/Chief of Staff to the Vice President for Student Affairs, a key member of the Student Affairs’ leadership team. Student Affairs recently updated its strategic plan using the Balanced Scorecard model, and this position will work to implement, track, and evaluate progress on this plan. This position is also responsible for planning, organizing, directing, and controlling all aspects of the business intelligence functions for Student Affairs and supporting these efforts for 20+ departments that are part of this organization. This position is responsible for leading the strategic design and maintenance of business intelligence applications and identifying, researching, and resolving technical problems. This role ensures that the use of business intelligence applications enhance business decision-making capabilities.
This position will work closely with the UIT Business Intelligence Team, Undergraduate Studies Learning Analytics, Office of Institutional Analysis, and other key campus partners, to optimize data usage, best practices, and that sharing principles are observed. Familiarity with higher education, Student Affairs, and working in an environment with disparate data collection systems and a variety of compliance and privacy regulations is important.
This person should have the vision and experience to consult with key units; demonstrate leadership skills and the ability to work with staff members across Student Affairs and the institution, with different backgrounds and expertise to achieve common goals; have effective communication skills and a strong professional presence to share findings and inform strategy with a variety of stakeholders who are committed to student success.
As director of the Assessment & Analytics Department, this person is also responsible for leading the operations and strategic planning of staff management, customer services, and financial management functions in areas including (but not limited to) administrative services, federal or state compliance, and other general business services for the department.
An excellent benefits package is included (see here for a full description of the benefits package):
- 14.2% employer retirement contribution in addition to employee contributions (automatic and immediately vested) Paid parental leave (in addition to FMLA) 11 paid holidays per year plus vacation accruals each month Excellent health insurance options that are both affordable and allow access to care through the University of Utah health system Tuition reduction for employees and family members Options for short-term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, and HSA/FSA savings plans are available Free public transportation pass (see here for more information)
University of Utah Job ID# PRN31825B 01550 - Assessment & Analytics
COMPENSATION: $60,700 to $115,300 depending on experience
WORK SCHEDULE: Full Time. Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. This position is eligible for hybrid work.
- Administers business intelligence system for Student Affairs, including leading efforts for integrating existing data sources into business intelligence systems, managing user roles, creating and automating reports and dashboards, training users, leading efforts related to procurement and onboarding, and managing projects.
- Leads statistical analysis and reporting on data related to employee workforce, using a variety of software tools.
- Demonstrates knowledge of basic statistical concepts and programming language of analytical software, such as SAS, R, SPSS, or others; data visualization software, such as Tableau; and survey software packages, such as Qualtrics, Campus Labs, Survey Monkey, or others.
- Leads efforts to track key performance indicators and other metrics related to the Student Affairs strategic plan.
- Assesses missing data and develops strategies to collect or obtain these from other areas.
- Leads the creation and administration of surveys and other research projects, including coordination with the IRB.
- Manages data team, determines project priorities, mentors and trains on systems and tools, works with IT and vendors on system fixes, enhancements, etc.
- Advises and assists executive leadership team with data and metrics related to policy decisions and initiatives. Presents information regularly to the Student Affairs Leadership Team, Student Affairs directors, and other campus partners.
- Facilitates end-user training for tools and systems.
- Ensures competency of staff through the development and/or presentation of educational programs and through ongoing staff performance evaluations.
- Forecasts, develops, and implements policies and procedures in areas of customer service, staff management and growth, space planning, and budgetary goals and objectives that are consistent with University of Utah’s policies in relation to the business intelligence function of department.
- Has the ability to plan for and strengthen the existing team to increase research capacity in order to contribute to larger organizational goals.
- Demonstrates experience with budget and advocating for resources to meet work requirements.
- Markets and promotes new and existing programs and services to internal and external customers.
- Participates in University-wide committees to establish customer service standards and administrative plans and policies.
- Facilitates cooperative and collaborative community and institutional relationships.
- Ensures customer satisfaction by analyzing complaints, concerns, and suggestions and providing appropriate follow-through.
- Develops strategies consistent with the Student Affairs’ continuous quality improvement program.
- Demonstrates a commitment to promoting inclusive and equitable practices to serve and support a diverse population of students, staff, and other stakeholders.
- Shows exceptional communication skills, including effective writing, public speaking, and persuasive competencies.
Incumbents in this position have the authority to manage assigned units and designated programs and services. They are responsible for ensuring that diverse customer, family, and community issues affecting customer service and care are resolved. Directs the planning and administration of the unit’s budget and makes spending decisions within budget guidelines. Oversees program development for assigned units and ensures that policies and procedures are followed.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
This position is eligible for hybrid work.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related area, or equivalency; eight years of progressively more responsible management experience; and demonstrated leadership, human relations, and effective communications skills required.
Master’s degree in Business Administration or related area preferred.
One year of education is equivalent to two years of experience.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
TO APPLY, VISIT: https://utah.peopleadmin.com/postings/137767
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities. Please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/TDD), for further information or to request an accommodation. The University of Utah is committed to diversity in its workforce. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.