Job Title: Performing Arts Center Director
Job ID: 24285
Location: Brooklyn College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Brooklyn College, a vibrant senior college of the City University of New York, invites applications for the position of Performing Arts Center Director. Reporting to the Executive Director of Strategic Initiatives, the Performing Arts Center Director will direct the strategic and day-to-day operations and administrative activities of Leonard & Claire Tow Center for the Performing Arts which includes the Claire Tow Theater, a 2,380-seat performing arts venue located on the campus of Brooklyn College, and – in collaboration with the Department of Theater and Conservatory of Music – oversee the two-hundred seat Don Buchwald and the New Workshop theaters (capacity of 50 to 120 people).
In addition to the CUNY Title Overview, typical duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Manage the Center’s production, cinema/digital/projection, front of house (FOH), and arts education (including the Preparatory Center) units. Work with senior management to create and execute a vision and strategy for the phased reopening of the Leonard & Claire Tow Center for the Performing Arts. Develop and manage the centralized Center annual seasonal performance, rental, and production calendar in coordination with the academic departments of Theater and the Conservatory of Music to ensure that staffing needs are met and not extended beyond existing capacity. Oversee the Center’s webpage content to ensure that information is accurate and up to date. Brings and develops an entrepreneurial vision to the Center by planning, presenting, and implementing creative and cost-effective revenue generating business plans to attract both program clients, sponsors, and audiences. Included but not limited to grant writing or development opportunities. Provide programming and rental opportunities that fulfill the community service mission of the College or Unit. Work collaboratively with academic departments of Theater and the Conservatory of Music, the College’s Auxiliary Enterprise Corporation to streamline the business process for rental inquiries, contracts, and execution on behalf of the Center, the AVP of Student Financial Services to ensure that all Center box-office and ticketing needs are met, Information Technology Services (ITS) to ensure adequate Wi-Fi coverage for the Center and to operate necessary equipment, the Office of Facilities, and the Office of Strategic Initiatives and Communications and Marketing to increase the Center’s external market share and presence. Ensure that Center equipment and spaces are properly maintained, and safety inspections or external agreements are conducted or re-authorized as routinely required and work to ensure that any identified concerns are addressed in a timely fashion. Responsible for annual assessment goals and outcomes development and reporting
Candidates will be required to provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Exemption (medical or religious) requests to this requirement will be considered in accordance with applicable law. Being fully vaccinated is defined for this purpose as being at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. Final candidates must be fully vaccinated as of their first day of employment.
Bachelor's Degree and eight years' related experience required.
- Master’s degree in Arts Administration, Performing Arts Theater Management, or similar preferred Experience working with faculty and/or in a higher education environment Experience with a variety of event and production types, specifically live music/theater performances Prior director experience managing a performing arts center or venue Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Plans, directs, and markets Performing Arts Center/Theatre programs and presentations at other venues throughout a College or Unit.
- Works with senior management to create a vision and strategy for performing arts
- Brings artistic vision to the organization by planning and presenting innovative and successful programming
- Develops and implements creative and cost-effective marketing plans to attract both program sponsors and audiences
- Manages revenue targets and financial plans, reporting on financial operations consistent with best practices in the not-for-profit/public sectors
- Provides programming to fulfill the community service mission of the College or Unit
- Manages relationships between the center and College academic and administrative departments
- Cultivates relationships with external customers
- Hires, trains, and manages Center staff
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Higher Education Officer
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
$82,233 - $91,961; Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
From our job posting system, select "Apply Now", create or log in to a user account, and provide the requested information. If you are viewing this posting from outside our system, please visit https://cuny.jobs/brooklyn-college/new-jobs/ .
Applicants should provide a cover letter and resume in .doc or .pdf format.
Open until filled with review of applications to begin immediately.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.