Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest
Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative
and nontraditional teaching and learning.
The college continues its 51-year commitment experimenting with
new, flexible, and individualized modes of learning through such
practices as mentoring students throughout their academic studies,
creating individualized degree plans, valuing learning gained from
life and work experience, building professional and social student
support communities and creating flexible modes of delivery to meet
students' diverse learning preferences. The college now boast over
92,000 proud and successful alumni and partners with nearly
17,000 students a year who want to expand their personal and
Empire State College is a part of the SUNY System and is
accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, ESC serves
mostly working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's
degrees online and onsite at over 30 locations across the state of
New York and abroad.
Empire State College is committed to creating a multi-cultural
and inclusive academic and work environment. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression,
sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or
The Grant Developer position, employed through the Research
Foundation for the State of New York (RF), will report to the
Director of the Office of Sponsored Programs for SUNY Empire State
College. The position is a full-time appointment subject to
renewal, annual funding, and is benefits eligible. The Grant
Developer will identify, define and develop funding sources to
support existing and planned program activities as well as lead the
development, writing, and submission of grant proposals to federal,
state, and private funding agencies.
Primary responsibilities include preparation of proposals and
grant applications, and performance of responsible professional and
administrative work in researching, identifying, developing and
responding to public and private grant opportunities in areas that
support College programs.
The position is also responsible for collecting, analyzing, and
reporting data on the performance of program activities that are
funded by federal, state, and private funding agencies.
- Researches and identifies new government, corporate, foundation
and private funding prospects to match College priorities.
- Generates high-quality proposals, narratives, applications and
supporting documents in response to solicitations consistent with
all policies and procedures of SUNY Empire State College, and the
requirements and guidelines of the funding agencies.
- Generates revenues for programs through timely submission of
well-researched, well written and well-documented grant
- Maintains primary responsibility for grant schedules and
- Works with appropriate personnel to research, develop, write
and submit letters of inquiry, concept papers and grant
- Coordinates and follows-up on the progress of submitted
- Coordinates with the Business Office to create expenditure and
income budgets to accompany proposals.
- Upgrade Grants Manual procedures and IRB in cooperation with
- Develops and maintains a master file on pending grants and
- Remains up to date on current issues relative to grant
- Meets regularly with faculty/staff to discuss current and new
- Become cognizant of regulations & other matters of
compliance with all grants including the GAN, FAQs, email, webinars
and all other communiques from the Department of Education as they
relate to the grants.
- Inform staff and answer questions regarding allowability of
proposed expenditures related to all specific grants.
- Maintains confidentiality of information exposed to in the
course of business regarding students, supervisors or other
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree
- Grant writing experience, preferably with an education
- Ability to work effectively under pressure
- Excellent writing and verbal skills
- Be highly organized with the ability to implement systems and
- Proficiency in research, interpreting, and analyzing diverse
- Excellent Computer skills (Microsoft Office Word, Access,
PowerPoint and Excel), and database management skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work collaboratively
and independently with purpose and accuracy in a fast-paced
- Master's degree
- 3 to 5 years of experience as a successful grant writer
- Previous grant budget development and management
- A proven record of securing major grants with certifiable
- Knowledge of grant application process, scoring criteria and
- Previous federal grant application, submission, approval and
management of funds
- May involve occasional travel
- VISA sponsorship is not available
RF SUNY Title: Sponsored Programs Assistant
Applications Due By: Applications
accepted until position is filled.
As an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer, The
Research Foundation for SUNY will not discriminate in its
employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, creed,
religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical
conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
transgender status, age, national origin, marital status,
citizenship, physical and mental disability, criminal record,
genetic information, predisposition or carrier status, status with
respect to receiving public assistance, domestic violence victim
status, a disabled, special, recently separated, active duty
wartime, campaign badge, Armed Forces service medal veteran, or any
other characteristics protected under applicable law. Rev:
June 16, 2016
The Research Foundation for the State University of New York
is not an agency or instrumentality of the State of New York.
Employees of the Research Foundation for the State University of
New York are not State employees, do not participate in any State
retirement system, and do not receive New York State fringe
benefits. The Research Foundation for the State University of New
York operates under a contract with The State University of New
York and receives no directly appropriated State funding. The
Research Foundation for the State University of New York is a
501(c)3 and maintains independent salary, benefits and retirement
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE
ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH
THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME
STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100,
ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY
WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security
If you are interested in applying for this position, please
submit the following documents, which are required for
consideration by clicking on the APPLY NOW button :
- Cover letter
- Name and contact information of three references
FAQ for using our online system. Please contact
us if you need assistance applying through this website.
Returning Applicants - Please click here to
login to your Empire State College Employment Account to
check your completed application or to update your account.