Thesis Department Assistant
Attention Current Willamette University Employees:
to apply for posted positions, please close this window and log
into your Workday account and apply through the Career
Instructions for Applicants:
Please read the following carefully before beginning the online
To be considered for employment at Willamette University, please
complete our online employment application. Your application and
all required attachments -- listed at the bottom of the page --
must be submitted for each individual job post that you are
interested in applying for. If there is an application deadline,
please ensure that your application is submitted by the deadline.
Once you submit your application you will not be able to edit your
The Thesis Dept. Assistant supports the Thesis Director in the day
to day work and is responsible for many of the organizational and
logistical processes and problems that arise within the Thesis
The TDA works directly with the Thesis Director to update and
improve the many assets we use each semester to be more effective,
relevant and accurate with the students and the faculty during the
current semester. These 'assets' include the many printed forms,
Midterm Review & Focus Week digital forms, studio documents,
handbooks and signage as well as the many lists of students and
Midterm Review artists.
The TDA also contributes critical feedback to support constant
improvement of the Thesis experience.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
It is the responsibility of the TDA to:
- Support the BFA Thesis Director to successfully administer,
facilitate and grow the BFA Thesis experience.
- Contributes critical feedback to support constant improvement
of the BFA Thesis experience.
- Organize and facilitate the many logistics of both Midterm
Reviews and Focus Week.
- Thesis Handbook maintenance and alterations based on curricular
- Organize and oversee Thesis Studios; arrangement, assignment,
- Work directly with students whose Thesis Projects require more
intense installations and to help any Thesis student understand the
elements of a successful installation.
- Facilitate technical support for each student to either propose
their project or properly install their thesis work for
- This process begins well before Focus Week and only intensifies
as it gets closer.
- Facilitate student workers to create a fluid/ supportive Focus
- Direct the work-study Focus Week Crew and support them to learn
skills related to art events, installation and the professional
practice of presentation and installation.
- Communicate with and engage the Facilities Dept. and IT Dept.
to facilitate a successful Focus Week experience.
- Work with the Thesis Director and suggest new ways to
continually improve Thesis as the college grows so that we can
learn how to better serve our student's needs.
Salary: $16.00 - $17.61 per hour
Typical Work Schedule:
- The ability to work kindly and respectfully with students who
are in their most stressful time at school.
- The ability to be self directed and contribute to effective
process and communication.
- Capacity for design, editing & cataloging of analog and
- Knowledge of the Thesis/ Focus Week Process are
- A working knowledge of the campus's tech systems, facilities,
installation strategies and various types of media.
- Ability to work well with all areas of the college to
facilitate the BFA Thesis experience.
- The ability to facilitate student workers to create a fluid/
supportive Focus Week experience.
Most work will take place Monday through Friday during the normal
work day. Some evening and weekend work will occur during peak-time
events such as Midterm Review and Focus Week.
Physical Demands & Working Conditions:
Intermittent physical effort is required.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as received
until the position is filled.
All University positions require that candidates submit to a
criminal conviction record check prior to hire. Conviction does not
automatically preclude candidates from being hired. Nature of
conviction will be considered relative to the duties of the
You will need to upload the following documents as part of your
application materials in the "My Experience" section labeled
Apply online at https://willamette.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/willametteuniversityjobs/job/Portland-Campus/Thesis-Department-Assistant_R0004538
Believing that diversity contributes to academic excellence and
to rich and rewarding communities, WU is committed to recruiting
and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body. We seek
candidates, particularly those from historically under-represented
groups, whose work furthers diversity and who bring to campus
varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds.
- Cover letter - including a statement of interest
- Minimum of three references