Rank: Assistant Professor, Tenure Track
Title: Assistant Professor of Marketing
Effective Date of Appointment: 08/17/2023 (Subject to Budgetary Approval)
About the University:
California State University Channel Islands (CSUCI) opened in 2002 as the newest campus in the California State University system. Since that time, the University has grown and developed into one of the premier public universities, not only in the California State University system, but also in the nation. CSUCI enrolls approximately 6,437 students, including 226 graduate and post-baccalaureate students (Fall 2021). Approximately 55% of CSUCI’s students are Pell Grant eligible, and approximately 62% are first-generation college students. CSUCI offers 26 undergraduate majors, seven graduate degrees, and a number of credential and certificate programs. Students have access to highly engaging curricular and co-curricular learning experiences, with outstanding faculty and staff, small class sizes, innovative applications of instructional technologies in their in-person, online, and hybrid classes, and other high-impact learning practices including service learning, undergraduate research, and study abroad opportunities in 20+ countries. CSUCI has earned national distinctions because of its faculty, work environment, community service, student/faculty research, and efforts to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion. In 2021, CSUCI was ranked among the top 30 “Most Promising Places to Work in Student Affairs” for the seventh year in a row. The University has been recognized four times by The Chronicle of Higher Education as a “Great College to Work For.” U.S News & World Report recently ranked CSUCI 41st for Regional Universities West, overall – and at 20th for Top Public Schools in that category and 17th for Social Mobility. CSUCI achieved the designation of Hispanic Serving Institution in 2009. In 2019, CSUCI was the first CSU campus and one of only nine institutions in the nation to receive the inaugural Seal of Excelencia, a prestigious, voluntary, and comprehensive certification granted by the Washington, D.C.-based organization, Excelencia in Education.
In keeping with the mission of the CSU system, CSUCI simultaneously provides a student-centered, world- class education while offering access to many groups traditionally excluded from higher education. Student demographics as of Spring 2022 include the following: Female (65.6%), Male (34.3%), Non-binary (0.1%); First Generation (61%); Low Income (51.1%); Hispanic/Latino(a) (56.6%); White (23.9%); Asian American (6.2%); African American (1.9%); Native American/Alaskan (0.1%); Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander (0.3%); two or more ethnicities (3.8%); with 3.5% of students not reporting ethnicity.
The University is also taking steps to confront racism and advocate for social justice. To this end, CSUCI encourages applicants who are motivated to serve and contribute to the university’s tenure-track body, which self-identifies as 62% White, 21% Latinx, 9% Asian/Asian American, and 2% Black/African American.
CSUCI sits at the foothills of the Santa Monica Mountains and is located about 4 miles from Camarillo, 10 minutes away from the nearest beach and roughly 50 miles north of Los Angeles. As a regional campus in the CSU system, CSUCI serves all of Ventura County and the southern part of Santa Barbara County — a region that enjoys a rich mix of ethnic diversity. The local economy relies on six key industry sectors, including agriculture, manufacturing, construction, health services, professional/scientific/technical services, and leisure/hospitality.
CSUCI is committed to recruiting individuals who are dedicated to furthering inclusive excellence in our campus community. We seek to enhance our diverse University population by welcoming people from all backgrounds, and by working to sustain an environment where colleagues can not only work and learn, but also create and thrive.
CSUCI Mission Statement:
Placing students at the center of the educational experience, California State University Channel Islands provides undergraduate and graduate education that facilitates learning within and across disciplines through integrative approaches, emphasizes experiential and service learning, and graduates students with multicultural and international perspectives.
CSUCI’s Commitment to You:
CSUCI is committed to helping newly hired faculty develop a sense of belonging in a collaborative and supportive community dedicated to providing resources and opportunities for establishing and sustaining a research agenda and engaging in continuous improvement in equitable teaching and learning.
About the Program:
The Martin V. Smith (MVS) School of Business & Economics at CSU Channel Islands actively promotes the Mission of CSU Channel Islands (CI) by building and supporting a learning community of faculty and students who pursue excellence in all areas of business and economics education and scholarship. Faculty members in the Martin V. Smith School of Business & Economics follow a teacher/scholar model in accordance with AACSB standards. We offer comprehensive undergraduate programs as well as part-time MBA programs and will inaugurate our state-of-the-art facilities in 2023.
To learn more please visit our website page https://business.csuci.edu/index.htm with our 2019-2024 Strategic Plan.
About the Position:
This is a full-time tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor. The successful candidate will be joining our dynamic marketing faculty team, teaching a range of related courses such as Principles of Marketing, Marketing Research, Consumer Behavior, etc. In addition to these courses, this individual will be expected to conduct assessment, develop marketing curricula, and to teach other appropriate courses at the undergraduate level. The successful candidate will also be responsible for producing scholarship work commensurate with the requirements for tenure, as well as to contribute to the life and development of the school, advise students, serve on committees, and participate in the broader university and disciplinary communities. The candidate will also have the opportunity to participate in co-curricular activities through CI Solutions, our distinctive student-run-agency, and our American Marketing Association chapter, among others.
Minimum Degree Requirements:
- Doctoral degree in Marketing or a related field from an accredited institution. ABDs will be considered but must show evidence that the degree will be completed by the time of appointment.
- Research potential in the field, as evidenced by journal publications and a well-defined research agenda for sustained publications in high-quality journals.
- Commitment to effectively work with and engage a diverse student population and evidence of how they would successfully mentor minoritized students with special focus on Latinx, Black/African American, American Indian, and Asian/Asian American/Pacific Islander students.
- Ability to work effectively with a culturally diverse range of faculty and staff.
- Evidence of teaching high-quality marketing courses, knowledge of high impact practices (HIP) and assessment.
- Experience with curriculum design and ability to integrate technology into classroom instruction.
- Commitment and ability to work with students who may need support with academic or college preparedness skills.
- Experience teaching in other core or elective areas in Business.
- Experience advising students and student organizations.
- Prior industry/professional experience in areas related to marketing.
- Instructor for marketing courses offered.
- Conduct assessments and develop and enrich undergraduate marketing curricula.
- Conduct and publish research in marketing.
- Contribute to program and university planning and governance through service on MVS and university committees.
- Opportunity to teach MBA and interdisciplinary master’s degree classes.
Screening of applications will begin September 23, 2022. Priority will be given to applicants who meet the screening deadline; however, the position will remain open until filled.
Applicants must submit the following materials:
- A letter of application addressing graduate education and other experiences relevant to the position and research interests.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Three references including names, addresses, and telephone numbers.
- A Teaching Philosophy/Statement.
- A syllabus for a marketing class that you have taught and if available, student ratings of teaching.
- A Statement on your contributions/commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging as they relate to your teaching, scholarship, and/or service activities.
- A Research Statement.
- An example of scholarly writing, such as a recent publication.
In later phases of the search process, applicants may be requested to provide verification of terminal degrees, licenses and certificates.
Submit all required materials to the CSUCI Careers application web address below:
Pay, Benefits & Work Schedule:
Salary is commensurate with knowledge, skills, and experience. The University offers excellent fringe benefits.
Evidence of degree(s) required at time of hire.
At time of appointment, the successful candidate, if not a U.S. citizen, must have authorization from the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services to work in the United States.
The person holding this position may be considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
CSUCI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, and disability. Our nondiscrimination policy is set forth in CSU Executive Order 1096.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting Faculty Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org.