JOB SUMMARY :
The Assistant Professor is responsible
for teaching, planning, implementing, and evaluating curriculum as
a member of the HIM instructional team. Provides academic
counseling and guidance to HIM students. Performs coordinator
responsibilities as assigned.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Teach (online, day, evening, and weekend classes, as
applicable), plan, implement, and evaluate curriculum as a member
of the HIM instructional team.
- Coordinate administration of the designated plan of study or
discipline-specific requirement within the department and
responsible for assisting with program-level strategic planning,
evaluation, and outcome assessments.
- Participate in all HIM planning meetings and selected
subcommittees within School of Allied Health and College of Health
Professions; Participating actively in University, College, School
and Community service and Activities.
- Maintain own professional growth and remain current in HIM
- Assist in preparation for HIM accreditation visits.
- Provide academic counseling and guidance to Health Information
Management students and hold at minimum six (6) posted office hours
per week on at least two different days.
- Minimally a Master of Science in HIM or health-related degree
- Doctoral Degree in a health related field or education from an
accredited institution preferred but not required.
- Holds a current Registered Health Information Administrator (
RHIA ) or Registered Health Information Technology ( RHIT )
- Other HIM related credentials will be considered.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER CHARACTERICS :
- Demonstrated recent college teaching experience (within the
last 5 years preferred) and prior HIM practice experience required.
Experience networking, developing, implementing, and coordinating
Health Information Management academic programs and practicum
- Ability to meet challenges of adult students with diverse
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience
integrating technology and other alternative instructional delivery
systems into the teaching-learning process; academic preparation in
Health and Health Education or technology as a graduate of an
accredited university program; or Coding Clinical Specialist ( CCS
) or Certified Coding Professional ( CPC ) preferred.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have experience and
an appreciation for and are committed to working in a global,
multicultural academic setting.
Position Detail Information
- Must be able to independently manage multiple tasks and set
priorities; possess strong oral/written communication,
presentation, and interpersonal skills; evaluate and implement
curriculum, teaching and advising adult learners; integrating
technology and alternative delivery systems of instruction in
- Familiar with Commissions on Accreditation of Health
Informatics and Information Management Education ( CAHIM )
standards and American Health Information Management Association
Posting Detail Information
Position End Date (if temporary)
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicant
COVID -19 vaccinations are strongly encouraged for all University