The Assistant Controller for Financial Reporting and Expenses will
report directly to the AVP of Finance and Controller. The Assistant
Controller is responsible for all accounting and financial
reporting functions as well as accounts payable and grant
accounting. The Assistant Controller is responsible for monitoring
and ensuring adherence to the internal control policies and
procedures and compliance with financial and reporting requirements
of the University.
Assistant Vice President of Finance
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
REQUIREMENTS: (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Prepare monthly and annual financial statements.
- Establish and maintain internal controls and ensure compliance
with all financial reporting requirements.
- Manage all aspects of the general ledger.
- Lead monthly variance analysis.
- Assist with the budget process,
- Prepare all tax returns - Forms 990, 990-T, 1099's, 1098's,
W-2's, 941's, etc.
- Assist the controller in leading the all financial audits
including the annual audit with the external auditors.
- Review monthly medical claims and ensure adequate reserves are
maintained for the University's self-insured medical plan.
Participating in semi-annual meetings with the Insurance Carriers
and consultants regarding medical and pharmacy plans.
- Ensure compliance with long-term debt agreements, including
debt service payments, annual reporting requirements, monthly
billings and debt covenants.
- Lead the preparation of financial reporting and documentation
associated with any financings.
- Manage Endowment funds for compliance with donor stipulated
endowment and restricted fund agreements.
- Lead the implementation of new accounting standards for
financial statements, revenue recognition, and lease
- Supervise the general accounting, accounts payable, and grants
- Collaborate with other members of the University on matters
relating to finance.
- Prepare and reconcile fundraising reports for the Office of
University Advancement and distribution to the Board of Trustees
- Prepare ad hoc reports and analyses, as requested by the
President, Vice President for Finance and Operations, and Chief
- Prepare quarterly and ad hoc financial reports for Board of
Trustees to assess the financial health of the University and
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
- Significant experience in how state and federal laws and
regulations impact private universities, including policies and
procedures in the areas of business, financial administration, and
- Extensive knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Standards
pertaining to higher education institutions.
- A work history that demonstrates progressively higher levels of
managerial and administrative responsibility in comparable public
or private institutions of higher education.
- Excellent communication, managerial and human relations
- Knowledge of implementation of automated solutions in finance
and administration, i.e., e-Procurement, financial reporting, etc.
ERP implementation experience a plus.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance is required.
- Master's degree or Certification in Public Accounting (CPA) is
- Minimum of seven years of experience in finance required, in
the higher education area is highly preferred.
- Strong supervisory skills and experience is required.
- Director of Accounting.
- Senior Accountant.
Adelphi University, New York, is a highly awarded, nationally
ranked, powerfully connected doctoral research university dedicated
to transforming students' lives through small classes with
world-class faculty, hands-on learning and innovative ways to
support academic and career success. Adelphi offers exceptional
liberal arts and sciences programs and professional training, with
particular strength in our Core Four—Arts and Humanities, STEM and
Social Sciences, the Business and Education Professions, and Health
and Wellness. Recognized as a Best College by U.S. News & World
Report, Adelphi is Long Island's oldest private coeducational
university, serving more than 7,500 students at its beautiful main
campus in Garden City, at learning hubs in Manhattan, the Hudson
Valley and Suffolk County, and online. The University offers
students 75 undergraduate programs, more than 70 master's degree
and doctoral programs, and 55 certificate programs in the liberal
arts, the sciences and professional training. With powerful
partnerships throughout the New York area, more than 118,000
graduates across the country, a growing enrollment of students from
44 states and 65 countries, and rising rankings from top
publications and organizations, Adelphi is a dynamic community that
plays a leadership role on Long Island and in the region.
To apply, visit https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=ADELPHI&cws=39&rid=2820