The interdisciplinary Program in Environmental Studies (ES) at
Elmhurst University in the greater Chicago area invites
applications to join the pool of part-time (adjunct) faculty for
the 2022-2023 school year. We are seeking educators who are
passionate about the environment and about providing students with
hands-on, career-focused opportunities to solve environmental
issues in our local communities and beyond.
Open courses currently include:
- ES 100 Introduction to Environmental Studies
- ES 200 Environmental Science (focus on physical sciences)
- ES 350 Special Topics in Environmental Studies
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare course syllabi for assigned course based on approved
- Hold regular class meetings that promote active learning and
- Create and administer learning activities.
- Assign grades based on clear requirements.
- Participate in the administration of program-level assessment
(i.e. pre- and post-tests).
- Be available for student questions and hold regular office
- Follow all University and program policies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- An earned master’s or doctoral degree in environmental studies,
environmental policy, environmental science, or a similar field
within the broader discipline of environmental studies.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with ES faculty, staff and
- Commitment to excellence in teaching with a commitment to
creating an inclusive learning environment for a diverse student
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements
- Experience teaching in environmental studies at the college
- Professional work experience in at least one subdiscipline of
Employee is subject to indoor work, protected from weather
conditions. Work is sedentary in nature and involves exerting up to
10 lbs. of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force
frequently/constantly in order to lift, carry, push, pull or
otherwise move object.
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please be aware that as a continued emphasis on keeping our
community safe and healthy, we will require all faculty, staff, and
students to submit verification of full vaccination for COVID
Please provide 3 references, including name, phone number and
email. This may be included in applicant’s cover letter or optional
Elmhurst University is a leading institution of higher education
that seamlessly blends liberal learning and professional
preparation to help students reach their full potential. Elmhurst
University offers more than 70 undergraduate majors, 15 graduate
programs, degree-completion programs for busy adults, and the
acclaimed Elmhurst Learning and Success Academy for young adults
with developmental disabilities. Elmhurst University is one of the
Top 10 Colleges in the Midwest, according to U.S. News & World
Report; and U.S. News, Money and Forbes magazine’s consistently
rank Elmhurst as one of the Midwest’s best values in higher
Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a critical
component of the University’s mission, vision and core values. Our
commitment stems from the belief that an institution of higher
learning is enriched by the presence of diversity. Elmhurst
University is an EO Employer. Elmhurst University prohibits
discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal
employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard
to race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation,
religion, age, creed, ancestry, veteran status, marital status,
disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Direct Link to this Posting
Last Day a Reference Provider Can Submit Reference
Special Instructions to Reference Provider