About the Opportunity
The Head Lifeguard helps to ensure that, through training and
enforcement, that the Trefethen Aquatic Center is operating in a
safe and compliant manner. Being a Head Lifeguard is essentially
being a shift leader.
- Assists Aquatic Program Manager in carrying out supervisory
responsibilities to effectively manage the aquatics programs and
staff in accordance with policies and applicable rules and
- Assists with preparation, planning and implementation of
special events, rentals, etc.
- Performs the lifeguard or swim instructor duties, as
- Maintains constant surveillance of the pool area. Knows,
understands, and consistently applies and enforces safety and pool
rules, policies and guidelines.
- Knows all emergency procedures and responds to emergency
situations immediately in accordance with Trefethen Aquatic Center
policies and procedures.
- Communicates with and maintains effective relationships with
the members, participants and other staff.
- Documents and notifies Management of incidents/accidents,
member questions/concerns, damaged equipment, supply needs,
- Ensures the outlined procedures for opening/closing the pool
area are fully completed.
- Performs general housekeeping tasks to clean and maintain the
- Records and keeps accurate records of all pool chemical
readings and takes appropriate actions, as needed.
- Maintains all ARC certifications required (Refer to Education
and Training section for all required Certifications needed).
- Leads or participates in ongoing in-service trainings, staff
meetings, or other trainings as directed by the Aquatics Program
- Maintains regular and predictable attendance. Secures a
substitute of if unable to cover scheduled shift and notifies
Management of schedule substitutions prior to the change.
- Establishes and maintains an effective customer service
orientation toward all personnel contacted during the course of job
performance. This includes maintaining and protecting
confidentiality of information.
- Establishes and maintains effective and productive working
relationships while working in a diverse and multicultural
- Performs related duties as assigned Evaluate and record
American Red Cross lifeguard Skills of the staff.
- Act as a shift lead.
- Must have regular weekend availability .
- Develop and lead in service with management team.
- Help organize and teach American Red Cross certification
- Perform special projects as assigned or as found
Documents to Submit:
- Must be 18 years of age
- Current Lifeguard certification
- Current Lifeguard Instructor certification
- Current CPR for the Professional Rescuer certification
- Current First Aid certification
- Current AED certification
- Current Oxygen Administration certification (preferred or will
you provide this)
Resume and Certifications
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking
to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and
staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its
forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect
that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, religion,
color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability
status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and
support of diversity and inclusion, please see
To apply, visit https://northeastern.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/careers/job/Oakland-CA/Head-Lifeguard_R107871