The Retention Specialist will focus on providing data analyses that will inform and support advising and student programming within the College of Applied Science & Technology (CAST). The role will also participate and represent CAST in campus-wide retention and assessment initiatives.
The Retention Specialist will prepare customized and timely reports, assessment protocols, and other analyses that can be used by leadership to inform programming, engagement activities, communication, and target services for specific student populations, and guide other initiatives aligned to student persistence and degree completion.
The Retention Specialist may provide reports on student academic progress and offer sample growth mindset messaging that advisors can customize, and quickly and efficiently direct to their cohort of students utilizing a variety of digital media (email, text messages, and social media).
The Retention Specialist will report to the Director of Academic Advising and be responsible for supporting academic advisors and college-specific retention initiatives. The Specialist will also collaborate with Retention Specialists from across the University who meet routinely on common projects, sharing best practices, and consulting on institution-wide assessment initiatives supported by the Analyst for Retention and Completion in the Advising Resource Center.
This position is eligible for remote work inside the state of Arizona.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Communicates regularly with CAST leadership regarding data insights and characteristics of student populations.
- Participates in development, refinement, and management of advising assessment programs.
- Collaborates with retention professionals across campus as well as Student Success & Retention Innovation (SSRI) on retention practices and initiatives.
- Uses advising dashboards and other tools to collect and analyze data to understand student population(s) that can inform development and implementation of programs for defined populations.
- Monitors student academic progress. Alert leadership regarding bottlenecks in course access and/or prepare and disburse customized lists for advisors that mark student achievement.
- Participates in benchmarking studies aimed at identifying best practices, expand services, or other initiatives to support student persistence.
- Develops surveys to assess student needs and experiences.
- Strong interest and aptitude in using data analyses to inform programming to promote persistence and completion.
- Leverages student data to identify patterns, at-risk behaviors, and other factors to inform programming for academic and student support services, conduct outreach campaigns, etc.
- Effectively communicates findings gained through data analysis, both verbally and in writing.
- Uses data to guide the development and evaluation of college specific academic interventions for those placed in academic review, warning, and probation.
- Reports data-supported outcomes of retention strategies.
- Serves as a liaison to faculty and departments in the promotion and development of student engagement activities.
- Develops internship, career, and directed studies resources to support students and advisors in navigating engagement opportunities.
- Reports on career/internship and job placement outcomes.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Minimum 5 years of related work experience in academic advising, student services, or other related industry.
- Master's degree, or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience.
- Education and/or experience in student development, helping professions, career counseling or related field in higher education. Previous higher education settings could include academic advising, academic support programs, new student orientations, student life, scholarship and financial aid, or any related student development area.
- Significant experience with academic advising, UAccess Student and Analytics, or PeopleSoft.
- Experience with data-driven decision-making processes data and the signals data analysis can provide.