NPS is a military, graduate, teaching and research university. NPS faculty have made fundamental contributions to national security by bridging basic and applied research to meet the defense and national security needs of the U.S. Department of Defense, the U.S. Department of the Navy, the U.S. defense establishment, and America’s allies. NPS furnishes trusted technical and operational advice to the military and host tenant research organizations and provides experimental and demonstration platforms for dealing with a wide variety of exigent military problems. The university conducts both unclassified and classified research to equip military officers and DOD civilians a superior graduate education. NPS has recently ushered in major transformational improvements across campus--reorganizing and refocusing to execute better its mission. This Transformation has resulted in an evolution in leadership, which leads to a need for a next generation Vice Provost, Academic Affairs.
NPS is searching for a strong, forward-looking candidate to serve as Vice Provost, Academic Affairs. In this position, you will provide critical leadership on the Provost’s Team in a dynamic, mission-oriented setting.
Under the guidance of the Provost and Academic Dean, the Vice Provost, Academic Affairs (VPAA), is responsible for oversight and coordination of NPS’ graduate education and academic programs. The VPAA works closely with the Provost, representing the Provost and implementing the Provost’s vision.
The VPAA provides educational strategy, academic policy, resourcing coordination, administrative oversight, operational coordination, program analysis, and education service support for NPS’ graduate education and academic programs.
The VPAA responsibilities include :
• Organizing, managing, budgeting, and governing the Academic Affairs units to carry out the educational policies of the school.
• Promoting continuous improvement and assuring the quality and relevance of NPS graduate education programs.
• Developing and coordinating academic policies and regulations.
• Developing and coordinating educational programs and curricula and reviewing curricula requirements.
• Overseeing the academic planning function.
• Providing functional expertise toward the development of NPS academic systems.
• Leading the development of new academic programs; interacting with Department of Navy and Department of Defense communities with respect to education requirements.
• Leading the academic resource management process relating to the development of academic requirements, academic programming, development of the academic resource requirements and coordination of sponsored education resourcing policy.
• Ensuring operational excellence in the business, administrative, and support areas that relate to Academic Affairs.
- A doctoral degree in a discipline relevant to the university
- A minimum of three years’ experience in higher education administrative positions of substantial responsibility in academic and administrative management;
- Demonstrated record of scholarship and teaching commensurate with the award of tenure; and
- Mastery of leadership, management, and communication skills.
To ensure full consideration for the position, please submit:
- a letter of interest
- a curriculum vitae
- three references who can discuss your leadership, management, and communication skills.
Applicants with foreign education will be required to select from a list of private organizations that are members of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc. (NACES), which provide foreign education evaluations acceptable to NPS.
This announcement is open from Wednesday August 10, 2022 to Wednesday September 7, 2022.
Applications must be emailed to VPAA_Applications@nps.edu, by the 11:59 P.M. PST by September 7, 2022.
NPS will begin consideration of applicants ASAP.
The Naval Postgraduate School is an equal opportunity employer.