The Department of Cyber, Intelligence, and Information Operations (CIIO) at the College of Applied Science and Technology (CAST) invites applications for multiple positions in Cyber Operations. These positions are available as remote appointments for highly qualified candidates. These career-track Assistant/Associate Professor of Practice positions will begin in August 2023. CAST offers the Bachelor of Applied Science Degree to diverse, transfer, post-traditional students in an online format. CAST is also actively growing online master’s and doctorate degree programs across all its disciplines. Candidates must be committed to outstanding undergraduate and graduate teaching and research for our diverse student population. We are seeking interdisciplinary-focused colleagues eager to collaborate across the college’s programs and degrees. This position will contribute to building a strong team of culturally diverse faculty and staff who are committed to preparing students to be future-focused and career-ready in a 21st-century workforce. The University of Arizona’s College of Applied Science and Technology (CAST) is the only college at UArizona that offers the Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) Degree. CAST education is facilitated by the college’s one-of-a-kind Virtual Learning Environment that includes CyberApolis, a unique virtual city of 15,000 AI-driven bots who conduct business, engage in cyber media, and demonstrate human vulnerabilities that support scenarios in our classes. CAST’s Cyber Operations program was ranked the #1 online, undergraduate cybersecurity program by Academic Influence. In addition, CAST is home to a National Security Agency (NSA) designated Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Operations (CAE-CO) and an Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) designated Intelligence Community Center of Academic Excellence (IC-CAE). CAST is the University of Arizona’s only college headquartered in Sierra Vista. Sierra Vista is located 75 miles southeast of the Tucson campus and is the home to Fort Huachuca and the Army’s Military Intelligence Center of Excellence. CAST enjoys a robust education and research partnership with city, county, state, and government partners to include multiple relationships with Fort Huachuca’s many education, test, and evaluation organizations.
The faculty member will engage virtually and in-person to mentor and educate students who represent a diverse, post-traditional demographic, including over 50% first generation college students.
The expected faculty load is teaching four courses per semester (80%) and 20% service.
The College’s project-focused, undergraduate teaching model involves undergraduates in internships, research, and other hands-on experiences. The faculty member will mentor students in capstone experiences.
The faculty member will participate in outreach and contribute to departmental, college, and university service. In these and other ways, the faculty member will help to develop innovative approaches to enhancing student engagement, increasing diversity, and expanding collaborations with community and business partners.
As a part of the university’s land grant mission in the borderland region of Arizona, the faculty member is expected to be actively involved in the college’s commitment to shrinking the digital divide and expanding access to education for underrepresented students.
- Masters degree in Cyber Operations, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, or closely related field.
- 1 year of specific and demonstrable experience in one or more of the following areas:
Python, C, and/or Assembly Programming
Wireless and Cellular Networking & Security
Technical Project Management
Active Cyber Defense
Zero Trust Networking
- The initial appointment will be at the level of Assistant Professor of Practice, but an appointment at Associate Professor of Practice level may be considered for exceptionally qualified candidates. To be considered for an appointment above the rank of Assistant Professor of Practice, candidates must have an internationally recognized record of distinguished research achievement, leadership, and teaching ability.
- Associate Professor of Practice level appointment will require 7+ years of academic or industry-related to the course content areas listed.
- Ph.D. in a domain listed above.
- Preference will be given to candidates who are qualified for the Associate Professor of Practice level with 10+ years of academic or industry experience related to the course content areas listed.
- Demonstrated prior online teaching experience.
- Experience in Research Methods.
- Experience teaching at the MS and/or Ph.D. levels.