Web and Digital Content Specialist, PSS1, AFT
The Web and Digital Content Specialist works closely with digital
marketing and recruitment marketing colleagues in Rowan
University's Division of Strategic Enrollment Management, and with
university partners across the institution, to create and execute
timely website and digital content projects with thoughtful,
engaging content in keeping with the University's brand and
The Web and Digital Content Specialist is a content creator,
writer, and project manager who works closely with creative team
members, web designers, other content strategists, and marketers to
identify ways to streamline content, define content groupings to
maximize user experience and to achieve strategic website goals.
The Web and Digital Content Specialist is also responsible for
applying key word and SEO strategy best practice.
The Web and Digital Content Specialist works closely with other
website content producers, including external vendor partners, and
website developers to ensure timely, collaborative website project
management. Advocating for a “voice of the customer” perspective,
the Web and Digital Content Specialist will advise on how to shape
website content to best design compelling, successful user
experiences that also align with the University's brand voice,
strategic goals, and priorities.
Reporting directly to the Associate Director of Web Content &
Strategy, this position supports digital content development across
various channels, including external, internal, digital and social
media, promoting the University to its many constituencies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Enhance, refine, and drive a consistent, compelling voice across
- Collaborate with colleagues to leverage shared content.
- Write and publish engaging content for the website. Edit,
proofread, and improve upon submitted content, when necessary.
Ensure brand consistency.
- Optimize content according to keyword strategy and SEO best
- Review and edit content from University partners and internal
- Collaborate with project teams to discuss plans and
- Adhere to standards, processes, and best practices for content
updates, creation, distribution, and repurposing.
- Provide project management and content generation for new and
existing university web properties.
- Develop and edit webpages within university content management
systems, choosing appropriate visuals and copyediting with
attention to web writing best practices.
- Identify key metrics required to evaluate content
- Assist the marketing team and other staff with ongoing
campaigns, including but not limited to, social media, email
strategy, and analytics.
- Review websites to ensure accuracy and functionality, and works
closely with supervision and unit liaisons to ensure site content
production adheres to best practices.
- Contribute to web documentation, including web standards,
procedures, best practices, and style guides.
- Maintain digital presence on multiple external lead generation
and prospective student outreach websites and platforms.
Measure and Learn
- Contribute ideas and creative thinking into content that can be
implemented quickly independently or collaboratively.
- Contribute to a resource library of content and messaging
standards to facilitate reusing content to match customer/regional
- Evaluate finalized copy for compliance with policies, style,
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Keep internal portal tools updated with current digital
versions of content published.
- Seek and integrate student and stakeholder feedback and test
results to optimize content and language.
- Track content engagement to use in planning and future
- Evolve content themes to continue to engage target
EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Knowledge of search engine optimization best practices and
demonstrated website and keyword optimization skills
- Experience in web-based communication and engagement
- Strong experience in Microsoft Office; website
content-management systems (HTML and CSS skills strongly
- Working knowledge of InDesign and Adobe Creative Cloud
- Knowledge of web accessibility and usability, internet trends,
and programming functionality;
- Working knowledge of social media analytics
- Demonstrated commitment to staying current with web and digital
best practices, and learning new technology skills and
- Outstanding writing and editing skills
- Excellent project management and organizational skills
- Experience working directly with clients and helping them
achieve their content goals
- Experience working with Google Analytics
- Basic image editing experience
- Web accessibility expertise preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, communication, or
related field, or an equivalent combination of education and
experience with at least 2 years’ experience with demonstrated
success in the web and digital content management, and/or related
fields strongly preferred;
- Four (4) years of professional experience in marketing,
communications, or public relations
- Working knowledge of MS Office, Drupal, WordPress or other CMS
and content calendar application
- Basic technical knowledge of HTML and online publishing
- Knowledge of SEO and web traffic metrics
- Familiarity with social media as part of the marketing mix
- Agency copywriting experience
- Higher Education experience
- Experience with Asana, Basecamp, Teams, or other project
management and collaboration tools a plus
- Working knowledge of Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and
Mozilla Firefox Web browsers, Windows OS and Macintosh OS;