Assistant Women's Soccer Coach II
The mission of California Lutheran University is to educate leaders
for a global society who are strong in character and judgment,
confident in their identity and vocation, and committed to service
and justice. Founded in 1959 in beautiful Ventura County, the
university has an enrollment of about 4,000 undergraduate and
graduate students who come from across the nation and around the
world from a diversity of backgrounds, cultures and faiths. As a
federally recognized Hispanic-Serving Institution, Cal Lutheran is
looking for candidates with a dedication to and success in working
in diverse communities. The university is committed to an inclusive
learning and work environment that values individual differences
and respects each person’s dignity.
Reporting to the Head Coach, the position is responsible for
performing assistant coaching duties and assisting the Head Coach
in the management and administration of the sports program in
adherence to the policies, rules and regulations of the University,
National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and Southern
California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SCIAC). The
position is also responsible for assisting with the implementation
and execution of California Lutheran University's summer sports
camps. The position is partially funded through the Tara VanDerveer
Fund for the Advancement of Women in Coaching.
- Serves as assistant coach for the program; assists in coaching
during athletic events; coaches scheduled practice and workout
sessions; assists in the development of practice and game plans;
coaches team members, individually and in groups; demonstrates game
techniques; performs film review, analysis and exchange; performs
other assistant coaching duties as assigned. E
- Recruits academically and athletically qualified
student-athletes to meet the University’s admission standards and
enrollment goals. E
- Ensures compliance with University, NCAA and SCIAC obligations;
maintains continual and thorough familiarity with all applicable
University, NCAA and SCIAC rules and regulations; briefs
student-athletes and monitors adherence to rules and regulations.
- Assists in the implementation of the academic program including
monitoring of individual student-athlete progress to ensure
academic eligibility. E
- Serves as a designated game manager and on-site host/liaison to
include (but is not limited to) duties such as: opening/securing
visiting locker rooms; working with game officials; set-up; crowd
control; greeting participating team coaches, and officials;
scheduling, supporting, and attending pre-championship meetings;
volunteer coordination; facility scheduling and maintenance;
general troubleshooting during the championship events; supports
game management duties as needed. E
- Assists with California Lutheran University’s sports camps,
including (but not limited to): coaching, registration management;
scheduling events and arrangements; coordinating marketing efforts.
- Promotes the athletic program and specific sports through
community events, public speaking, fundraising, and marketing;
demonstrates community involvement through active leadership and
engagement to include: participation in team-based community
service projects; encouragement of student-athlete participation in
mentoring; and participation in other service programs. E
- Provides general counsel, guidance, and inspiration to students
regarding their overall success; promotes good sportsmanship.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- University, NCAA and SCIAC rules and regulations
- Compliance within NCAA Division III intercollegiate athletics
- Coaching theory and techniques; technical and tactical coaching
of a position area
- Effective promotion of good sportsmanship, academic excellence,
positive attitudes and character.
- The care and prevention of athletic injuries, basic sports
injury first aid and emergency procedures.
- Principles of sports leadership and training.
- Film analysis techniques; video editing techniques for film
- Basic liability and risk management issues.
- Scout and recruit quality student-athletes.
- Coordinate various Division III athletic operations including
camps and events.
- Serve as a positive role model for student-athletes.
- Maintain knowledge of and ensure compliance with University,
NCAA, and SCIAC rules and regulations.
- Objectively evaluate physical skills in the areas of physical
potential and mental capability for intercollegiate athletics.
- Effectively teach fundamentals, skills, regulations, position
details and strategies of sport during preparation and practice
- Provide effective leadership to student- athletes to encourage
both successful academic development and competitive
- Work within a team-oriented philosophy.
- Lift moderately heavy equipment and materials.
- Provide a safe environment for students, athletes, visitors and
- Analyze situations and adopt an effective course of
- Work independently, prioritize, schedule and complete
- Communicate effectively, in oral and written forms.
- Maintain confidentiality of records and information.
- Maintain positive relationships with students, parents,
guardians, colleagues, administrators, booster groups, foundations,
and community organizations.
- Maintain files accurately, in paper and in software
- Handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Operate a personal computer and associated software, such as
- Utilize Excel, Front Rush etc.
- Coordinate and work summer camps.
- Operate a vehicle to travel and conduct work.
- Work flexible hours with frequent evenings and weekends.
- Travel locally or nationally.
Any combination equivalent to: bachelor’s degree in exercise
science, kinesiology, sports management, or related field and two
years of coaching and recruiting experience in the sport of at the
Accomplished division III coaching background in the sport of
preferably with a working knowledge of NCAA rules compliance.
A proven ability to recruit and retain quality
Collegiate coaching experience within the sport, preferably at the
SCIAC or Division III level.
Commitment to the values, standards and expectations of NCAA
Division III athletics and a liberal arts university.
Licenses and Other Requirements:
Valid California driver’s license.
Ability to obtain a Class B endorsed CDL License, insurance
coverage (if driving own vehicle) or be insurable.
Possession of or ability to obtain CPR (cardiopulmonary
resuscitation), AED (automated external defibrillator) and First
Aid certifications within 90 days of employment.
Working environment includes both indoors and outdoors; exposure to
various weather conditions, including temperature extremes; Indoor
work environment may not be air conditioned during hot weather;
subject to vehicle operation to conduct work; travel is required;
frequent weekend and evening hours is required.
Number of Vacancies:
Desired Start Date:
Position End Date:
Open Until Filled:
Application Procedure/Special Instructions:
To apply, visit https://careers.callutheran.edu/postings/9621
California Lutheran University is committed to providing equal
opportunity in employment for all persons, regardless of race,
religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical
disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status,
sex, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender, gender
identity or expression, or any other basis protected by applicable
law. No person shall be excluded from participation in, be denied
the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination in any program,
activity or facility of the University on the basis of these
factors in a manner consistent with applicable federal and state
laws, regulations, ordinances, orders and rules, and University’s
policies, procedures, and processes.
Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process
can be provided to individuals with qualifying disabilities. Please
contact the Human Resources Department for further information or
to request an accommodation.