Maryland University of Integrative Health (MUIH) is one of the leading academic institutions for integrative health in the nation. For nearly 40 years, MUIH has educated and informed leaders in health and wellness through transformative and relationship-centered programs that draw from contemporary science and traditional wisdom. MUIH offers graduate degrees and certificates in a wide range of natural medicine disciplines, both on campus and online. MUIH’s on-site Natural Care Center (NCC) offers compassionate and affordable healthcare from clinical interns and professional practitioners.
Our commitment to diversity makes our organization stronger and is central to fulfilling our mission as healers. As we open ourselves to a variety of viewpoints and experiences, we naturally become more compassionate and better able to address complex problems in our community, our nation, and the world. Deepening our understanding and caring for all people propels our commitment to addressing health care disparities and reaching underserved populations with integrative health care.
The Division of Student Affairs is seeking an Academic Advisor to serve as an academic advisor for select academic programs. The academic advisor is an entry level advising position. The advisor, under direct supervision, will work collaboratively to provide proactive academic advising to assigned students and support student retention and persistence. To be considered for this position, you must currently reside in the United States.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assist students in developing educational plans that align with the students’ interests, abilities, and goals
- Guide students in critical reflection of academic and career goals through intentional academic advising strategies
- Encourage students’ holistic engagement with the MUIH community
- Communicate with and maintain confidential, accurate records for every student by responding to student needs, making appropriate referrals, maintaining a current list of all students within assigned area(s), and initiating contact with all assigned new students
- Proactively advise all assigned students and track student's progress with the goals of retention and progression toward program completion
- Work with faculty and the Office of Academic Success to support students who are at risk for failure to progress and through Notice of Faculty Outreach and Support
- Track and communicate students’ Academic Standing status, work with the Office of Academic Success to support students at risk of unsatisfactory academic status.
- Collaborate with the offices of Admissions, Financial Aid, Student Accounts, and the Registrar as well as academic departments and IT on day to day matters and in administering policy
- Attend and contribute content to program specific new student orientation
- Conduct outreach to new and expect students to facilitate course registration
- Educate students about curricular requirements, University policy and procedure, and support resources
- Communicate effectively with assigned advisees in accordance with the Communications Plan
- Monitor advisees’ degree progress to graduation
- Utilize technology to support academic advising (Office 365, Teams, Data Portal, SIS, etc.)
- Attend and participate in University events
- Participate in University committees as assigned
- Participate in advising cross-training between programs
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Education and Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in education, counseling, health-related field, higher education administration, or related field
- Demonstrated value of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging
- Awareness of, and genuine interest in the mission, vision, and values of the University
- Willingness to develop deeper knowledge, advising expertise, and implementation of best practices
Skills and Abilities
- Cross-cultural humility and competency
- Collaboration skills
- Excellent communication skills
For best consideration, apply by August 18, 2022.
Work Environment/Physical Requirements
This job operates in a professional office environment. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
DISCLAIMER: This job description indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities and other essential functions (as covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act) expected of an incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of an incumbent. An incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required.