The Coordinator of Editorial Services is responsible for
developing, writing, and editing professional editorial content,
which includes but is not limited to features, profiles, news
items, blog posts, video and panel scripts, and podcasts for the
print and digital editions of TCU Magazine and for other
publications as assigned. The coordinator will manage all aspects
of the TCU Magazine website, which includes designing and uploading
each digital edition, working with the extensive archive, and being
the point person for multimedia enhancements. This position will
oversee the Athletics section of TCU Magazine and will write, edit
and publish web exclusives related to news, athletics, and alumni.
This position leads the class notes editor, verifies graduation
details, and performs copy-editing and proofreading duties for all
types of university communication. The coordinator develops and
leads TCU Magazine’s multi-platform social media strategy. This
position will produce regular analytics reports detailing the
digital performance of all editorial content and takes the lead on
an ambitious SEO strategy. The coordinator will also handle the
quarterly magazine email newsletter. The coordinator supports the
Director of Editorial Services with implementing strategic
editorial plans, policies, and procedures and integrates efforts
with the broader university communication team.
Duties & Essential Job Functions:
1. Develops and writes editorial content on deadline for TCU
Magazine’s digital and print editions.
2. Updates and manages the day-to-day operations of the TCU
Magazine’s website and its back-issue story archives, which
includes but is not limited to uploading stories, blogs, photos,
podcasts, videos, and other multimedia elements as well as
generating specific web-only packages for distribution across
digital media channels with a careful attention to accessibility,
accuracy and SEO discoverability.
3. Oversees, writes and edits the Riff Ram (sports) section of TCU
4. Oversees Class Notes editor and ensures accuracy of reader
submissions by cross-checking with archives and alumni
5. Plans and manages social media: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram,
Reddit and unexplored platforms.
6. Plans, writes and assigns short-form stories and other editorial
content for the TCU Magazine website.
7. Writes bimonthly web exclusives for TCU Magazine website.
8. Proofreads and copy edits publications and other University
9. Generates and gathers digital analytics information on TCU
Magazine’s website and social media channels and produces concise
monthly, quarterly and annual reports on the measurement results,
along with providing recommendations for enhancing SEO
10. Collaborates on overarching editorial strategy by developing
and maintaining an insightful understanding of TCU’s mission and
11. Manages quarterly email newsletter.
12. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Education & Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communication, strategic
communication, marketing, media studies or related field or
equivalent in experience.
• 5 years of experience in writing and editing news and feature
stories, especially writing for web, with a proven track record of
producing high-impact and accurate editorial content in a
deadline-driven environment at either a daily newspaper or
• Experience with website management, social media and digital
• Proficiency with WordPress or comparable web management
Preferred Education & Experience:
• Advanced degree.
• Email marketing experience.
• SEO fluency.
• Experience using digital analytic tools to produce reports for
• Experience editing and producing video and/or podcast
Required Licensure/Certification/Specialized Training:
Preferred Licensure, Certification, and/or Specialized
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Knowledge of AP style and the standards of journalism ethics
• Knowledge of the dynamics of a university magazine and the role
it plays supporting the brand of the university.
• Knowledge of project management techniques with the ability to
simultaneously manage multiple projects.
• Knowledge of electronic media and its relationship with printed
• Knowledge of new and emerging social media platforms.
• Knowledge of working on Macintosh computers using Creative Adobe
• Excellent skill in writing and the ability to edit.
• Skill in oral and written communications.
• Skill in the supervision of freelance professionals.
• Ability to work with key administrators, internal staff writers,
designers, editors, photographers and printers.
• Ability to manage editorial projects with efficiency in a
deadline-driven work environment.
• Ability to work independently as well as collaborate as a team
TCU Core Competencies:
University Core Competencies definitions may be found on the
Human Resources website and in the staff performance management
Physical Requirements (With or Without
• Visual acuity to read information from computer screens,
forms and other printed materials and information.
• Able to speak (enunciate) clearly in conversation and general
• Hearing ability for verbal communication/conversation/responses
via telephone, telephone systems, and face-to-face
• Manual dexterity for typing, writing, standing and reaching,
flexibility, body movement for bending, crouching, walking,
kneeling and prolonged sitting.
• Lifting and moving objects and equipment up to 10 lbs.
• Work is indoors and sedentary and is subject to schedule
changes and/or variable work hours.
• This role is an on-campus, in-person position.
• There are no harmful environmental conditions present for this
• The noise level in this work environment is usually
As an AA/EEO employer, TCU recruits, hires, and promotes
qualified persons in all job classifications without regard to age,
race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender
identity, gender expression, national origin, ethnic origin,
disability, genetic information, covered veteran status, or any
other basis protected by law.
August 9, 2022 Central Daylight Time