Manager, Career and Transfer Center
- Oakton Community College
- Illinois, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jul 25, 2022
About Oakton College :
For 50 years, Oakton College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Hybrid Work Schedules
Paid Winter Break
FRIDAYS OFF during the Summer
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Under administrative supervision of the Dean of Student Success, the manager provides vision and strategic direction for a comprehensive center that connects new students to major and career exploration; offers career and professional development through job search coaching, student employment, and internship opportunities; and provides intentional transfer advising and support programs. Specifically, increase awareness of and develop appropriate assessment tools to measure student engagement, learning outcomes, and student success. The manager will work collaboratively with college stakeholders, transfer institutions, local businesses, and employers to develop, maintain, and evaluate programs and services in support of transfer and career planning, preparedness, and placement for students transitioning through and out of the College.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise professional staff and student employees to ensure
the delivery of effective daily operations and programmatic efforts
that directly impact student persistence, career development,
transfer, and seamless transitions.
- Plan, market and monitor transfer and career center programs.
Administer, interpret, and evaluate major, career, and personality
assessment inventories and resources.
- Advise, counsel and train individuals in career planning,
preparation and job search strategies. Assist students in assessing
transfer and career goals.
- Cultivate a comprehensive experiential learning program that
includes student employment, cooperative education, work-based
learning, internships, job shadowing, and career
- Plan and implement job fairs and on-campus recruiting
- In partnership with Continuing Education, Training, and
Workforce Development, foster relationships with employers to
identify, develop, and solicit job opportunities for students and
alumni. Increase the diversity, quality, and interest of employers
and ensure a consistent plan for employer outreach and
- Establish and maintain cooperative faculty relationships.
Communicate regularly with academic deans, chairs/coordinators, and
faculty regarding benefits of utilizing departmental recruitment
- Develop and utilize data-driven practices to assess learning
outcomes and student engagement associated with departmental
programs. Enhance achievement of strategic goals and outcomes by
compiling, analyzing, and utilizing data.
- Develop and monitor all budgets associated with areas of
responsibility. Maintain inventory and recommend purchase of
- Manage online job information systems. Coordinate, monitor, and
evaluate computerized career testing and career-related software
and information systems. Maintain and update websites, databases,
and resource libraries.
- Monitor, evaluate, and present up-to-date job market
information, job and salary data, and employment
- Prepare, analyze data, and write institutional, regional, and
state accreditation and agency reports and assist in collection and
analysis of student usage and satisfaction data.
- Facilitate regular staff meetings and provide oversight for
departmental working groups. Participate in Student Success area
- Participate in leadership team meetings for the Student Success
and Enrollment Center areas. Develop content and coordinate cross
training related to departmental programs for Enrollment Center
- Serve on appropriate college committees such as the student
success team, enrollment center integration team, and other
persistence and completion-related groups.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- Master's degree required, preferably in college student
personnel, higher education administration, human resource
development, counseling, or related field.
- At least three years of professional experience in
university/college setting or business in a human resources or
training and development function is required.
- Two years of supervisory experience preferred, preferably in a
higher education or business setting. Demonstrated ability to
train, motivate, mentor, and evaluate staff.
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills.
Demonstrated ability to plan, coordinate, prioritize, and
effectively execute multiple initiatives, programs, and events and
meet established deadlines.
- Ability to interact professionally and tactfully with people of
different levels of education, cultural backgrounds, and life
experiences, and to exhibit an adequate level of respect to fellow
employees and the College community at large.
- Ability to analyze situations, identify solutions, present
recommendations, and anticipate issues and consequences of
decisions and actions.
- Computer competence, including MS office suite, database
programs, and additional college supported software used for
- Ability to work flexible hours at both the Skokie and Des Plaines campuses including some evening hours consistent with student need.
Light lifting up to 10 lbs and light carrying up to 10 lbs. Ability to reach above shoulder. Periods of time spent sitting, standing, walking, kneeling, bending and stooping. Mobility to move from building to building on-campus and to visit off-campus entities. Work is performed in a general office environment and sedentary in nature. Little or no exposure to adverse working
Administrative supervision is received from the Dean of Student Success.
General supervision is exercised over professional staff, student employees, and/or interns.
HOURS: Monday - Friday - 8:15 am - 5:00 pm
Based on the needs of the college and with Administrator approval, some positions at the college may have hybrid schedule options available after working 30 days.
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application.
Oakton College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert