Systems and Digital Initiatives Librarian
Job Summary: Heterick Memorial Library is seeking an innovative, student-focused and collaborative professional to provide vision and leadership that reflects current needs and anticipates future trends. This position is central to providing high-quality, robust systems that facilitate search, discovery, delivery and accessibility of library services and resources. This position is a full-time (12 month) tenure-track position. The Systems and Digital Initiatives Librarian also serves as head administrator for the university’s Digital Commons repository, and as the web manager for Heterick Memorial Library’s website. This position works collaboratively with a wide range of campus constituents and units to support the discoverability of library resources. The Systems and Digital Initiatives Librarian will be committed to developing relationships within and outside the library to support student and faculty scholarship. All librarians at Heterick Memorial Library participate in instruction, reference, collection development and serve as liaisons to academic departments. The successful candidate will have a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage entry-level applicants with a familiarity or strong interest in systems and technology to apply. Applicants who do not possess all of the preferred qualifications are also encouraged to apply, as support will be provided for training and professional development.
- Leads, administers, maintains and supports the library’s integrated library system (ILS), currently Innovative Interfaces Sierra, for both Heterick Memorial Library and Taggart Law Library. Our library consortium, OhioLINK, has begun the process of selecting a new ILS.
- Maintains, evaluates and develops the library’s website, which is hosted on the LibGuides CMS platform.
- Builds and sustains the institutional repository (Digital Commons from Bepress) for a dynamic digital scholarship program and collaborates with faculty, students, and campus partners to grow the institutional repository’s contents.
- Administers and maintains discovery layer (EBSCO Discovery Service), room reservation and research guides software (Springshare), and additional library software programs
- Coordinates with the e-resources librarian and cataloger to maintain access to electronic content.
- Maintains awareness of current best practices for accessibility and keeps it at the forefront when implementing new technologies.
- Acts as liaison to several academic departments and contributes to collection development for these departments.
- Teaches information literacy sessions to students in first year writing classes, as well as in liaison departments.
- Provides research assistance to students in respective liaison departments.
- Works cooperatively with other librarians and library staff on special projects.
- Occasionally supervises staff and/or student assistants.
- Maintains awareness of and engagement with innovations and developments in systems and with emerging technologies; implements as appropriate.
- Meets the library’s requirements for tenure and promotion which includes professional development, scholarship and service on university and professional committees.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to work independently and meet project deadlines.
- Self-starter with the ability to work in a team environment.
- Must have excellent analytical, organizational, and problem solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with internal and external parties and diverse constituencies, including other staff, cross-departmental/divisional groups, patrons, vendors, and/or library partners.
- Master’s degree in library science from a graduate program accredited by the American Library Association.
- Coursework or job experience in systems or computer science.
- Experience in or willingness to learn instruction, reference and collection development.
- Knowledge and experience working with an integrated library system.
- Familiarity with library technology standards and protocols including MARC.
- Familiarity with best practices in web design and accessibility.
- Familiarity with HTML, CSS, and APIs.
To view full description and apply online go to: https://jobs.onu.edu/postings/10583
ONU is an equal employment opportunity employer.