Founded in 1917, Providence College (PC) is a premier Catholic
liberal arts institution steadfastly committed to academic
excellence through a dynamic core curriculum, a distinctive
Development of Western Civilization Program, and abundant
experiential learning opportunities. The only U.S. higher education
institution administered by the Dominican Friars, PC is committed
to providing a variety of opportunities for intellectual, social,
moral, and spiritual growth in a supportive environment. Providence
College believes that cultural and intellectual pluralism is
essential to the excellence of its academic programs, and strives
to foster an academic culture and campus community reflecting the
global environment in which we live and work.
The approximately 105-acre campus is situated in Rhode Island’s
capital city and is close to the many cultural and educational
offerings of Rhode Island’s “renaissance city.” Additionally,
Providence is located an hour from Boston and just a few hours from
New York City.
For years, Providence College has been recognized in the U.S.
News & World Report
“Regional Universities – North
Category” and has been commended by several other ranking
Oversee the core administrative functions of the offices for the
Department of Health Sciences. The Department of Health Sciences
has two majors, Health Sciences, and Health Policy and
Duties included training and supervising work study students,
graduate assistants, maintaining and updating department web sites,
assisting with the preparation and submission of annual schedules
and budgets, assisting with field placement sites, maintaining
confidential student records, and supporting the departments’
pre-registration process, and overseeing major declarations.
1. Provide administrative support for the Department of Health
Sciences, including the day-to-day management of the office and
support for chair and faculty. Serve as an internal resource on
departmental administrative questions and as a keeper of
“institutional memory” for policies, procedures, and
2. Manage information and communications on behalf of Health
Sciences. Collaborate with department chair to ensure that
information is communicated effectively through a range of media.
Develop and manage web-based and print information (e.g.,
newsletters, websites, social media sites) for the department each
semester using desktop publishing software; maintain and update the
websites for each department on an ongoing basis; post current
syllabi and faculty contact information to Sakai/Canvas; assist
faculty with book orders and securing desk copies; coordinate
classroom needs/requests for faculty and student organizations.
Work with faculty to provide accommodations for students working
with OAS .
3. Oversee the hiring, training, and supervision of student
workers, as well as the core office functions, and workflow for
faculty and student clubs.
4. Coordinate annual conference for Health Sciences and annual
“welcome back” socials for both majors and “study break” events.
Book space, coordinate catering with Sodexo, develop and main
invitations to key stakeholders, and manage registration for
5. Support the Health Sciences department faculty in managing
students’ field experience/engaged learning experiences,
supervisors, and worksites.
6. Participate and support faculty in the registration and advising
of students in undergraduate majors.
7. Coordinate transportation and events on behalf of undergraduate
students. Communicate and coordinate with other offices to ensure
the safe transport of students to off-campus sites.
8. Assist department chair with development and implementation of
budget procedures, policies, and reimbursements. Process and
maintain records on all other budgetary reimbursements, invoices,
receipts, and related materials. Process and support applications,
reimbursements, and transfers related to faculty or student grant
applications and disbursements as needed.
1. Perform all other duties as may be required.
Education and Experience Required
- High school diploma required. Associate’s Degree from an
accredited institution preferred.
- Three to five years’ of experience in an office environment or
an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong familiarity with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel,
- Prior experience with web editing applications.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Creativity in solving problems.
- Demonstrated ability or experience working with diverse
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
- Sitting in a normal seated position for extended periods of
- Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction
- Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers
rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s), for example, using a
- Communication skills using the spoken word
- Ability to see within normal parameters
- Ability to hear within normal range
- Ability to move about
If other, please enter regular schedule.
Providence College does not discriminate against any person because
of race, color, national and ethnicorigin, sex, gender, except
where gender is a bona fide occupational qualification, sexual
orientation,gender identity, religion, disability, age, veteran
status, or genetic information. The College will develop,and from
time to time update, an affirmative action program and will insist
on a good-faith effort on thepart of its employees to comply with
the program. The College will request and expect its agents
andthose with whom it conducts its affairs to meet the commitment
of this important program.
Posting Detail Information
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed To Apply
- * We require all employees to be vaccinated. Are you vaccinated
or have a *valid medical or religious exemption from receiving a
COVID-19 vaccine? Applicants requesting an exemption, must complete
a Providence College request form. Exemptions are not guaranteed
approval. Completion of exemption/vaccination process must be
finalized prior to start date.
- Will request exemption
- Cover Letter