Health Specialist/Certified Medical Assistant-L
Duration of Position:
Academic year / Full time
$19.20 per hour
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly
selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar
is deeply committed to fostering a community that reflects the
values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment
of equality, diversity and inclusiveness. Vassar seeks to create a
pluralistic community for all staff, faculty and students. Vassar
College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, and
applications from women, individuals with disabilities, veterans,
and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially
encouraged.Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free
campus.Note: Vassar College has a universal vaccination policy
requiring a COVID-19 vaccination, including a booster, for all
employees except for those exempt for medical or religious
Position Summary and Responsibilities
The Health Specialist/Certified Medical Assistant has both clinical
and clerical duties.
- Preparing the patient for medical visits, outpatient procedures
and other physical exams by performing vital signs, updating
medical history in the electronic health record, and noting any
changes in health status.
- Performing data entry tasks to document patient records within
facility databases and maintaining patient files. Assists with the
processing of incoming student medical forms.
- Assisting as a chaperone for sensitive exams or assisting with
bedside outpatient medical procedures.
- Providing phlebotomy services to students and employees.
On-site training to be provided.
- Processing tissue and lab specimens and entering patient
insurance information for outpatient labs.
- Performing EKGs when ordered by providers.
- Obtaining prior authorizations when necessary for
- Prepping and stocking exam rooms.
- Identifying inventory needs and assisting Director with
ordering supplies and vaccines.
- Providing compassionate patient support and care during office
- Assisting students with making follow-up appointments and
referral appointments to off-campus providers and facilities.
- Assisting with the management of the office telephone systems;
including answering calls and emails and returning messages.
- Assisting in the front office with appointment scheduling and
making appointment confirmation reminders.
- Assisting in the front office with greeting patients and
checking patients in and out for their appointments.
- Processing and reconciling the student account charges daily
and tracking hold bills.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Completion of an accredited medical assisting program with a
- Previous medical office experience/administrative support
- CPR certification preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong
customer service skills are essential.
- Strong organizational and computer skills, including email,
Excel, and Word are necessary.
- Familiarity with electronic record keeping helpful but not
- Ability to exercise discretion, maintain confidentiality and
work independently is required.
- Evidence of strong time management and organizational skills,
attention to detail, and the ability to apply independent judgment
and problem solving with limited supervision and instruction are
- Ability to interact with a diverse community of students,
staff, and other college personnel/departments.
- Must have a professional demeanor and ability to work as part
of a team with reliability and consistency.
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to
attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3
professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format.
Review of applications will begin immediately. If you have any
questions, please contact Human Resources, 845-437-5820.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/2818.