Get to Know American University
At American University we value open and honest inquiry, servant
leadership, and the affirmation of the human dignity of all. We
envision a thriving AU community where individuals of all
identities and experiences are understood, appreciated, and fully
included, and where equitable treatment, opportunities, and
Our diverse community of students, faculty, and staff represent
every state and more than 150 countries. Our internationally
recognized faculty are today's thought leaders in the areas of
public policy, law, the arts, communications, international
development, and more. Our staff are innovative, service-oriented,
and dedicated to moving the university towards achieving its
strategic goals. We are committed to an excellent experience for
all of our students, faculty and staff and share a passion for
creating change through our knowledge and our work.
Learn more about American University by clicking here .
This position will support research projects in the Department of
Chemistry specifically in the laboratory of Dr. Santiago Toledo in
the area of synthetic bioinorganic chemistry. Candidates must have
a bachelor’s degree in an experimental subfield of Chemistry or
Biochemistry. Prior experience with using and handling laboratory
equipment is necessary. The candidate will be expected to support
the establishment of the lab, laboratory management, and ongoing
research efforts. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis
starting August 15th 2022.
- Perform scientific research in Bioinorganic Chemistry
synthesizing and characterizing model complexes of enzymes relevant
to the research project.
- Maintain and establish existing and new lab equipment.
- Support with maintaining a lab inventory and help ordering
supplies as well as contacting and maintaining communication with
- Maintain and organize lab data for the purpose of using it in
manuscript writing, and annual grant reports.
- Assist with data analysis.
- Assist with experiment design project planning.
- Engage in regular group research meetings and assist with
mentoring of student research group members.
- Develop laboratory standard operating procedures and protocols
for standard lab practices.
- Assist with report and manuscript writing, including generating
- Additional responsibilities as necessary to support currently
and future funded grants.
Direct supervision is from Dr. Santiago Toledo, associate professor
of Chemistry at American University.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Required Education and Experience
- Part-Time, 25 hours/week.
- Generally, the hours for this position are flexible with a
total not to exceed 25 hrs/week.
- The candidate must be flexible to meet the research needs.
- This is a 12 month-ongoing, Part-Time, this position is not
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- At least a Bachelor of Science degree in an experimental
subfield of Chemistry or Biochemistry required.
- Prior experience operating laboratory equipment required.
- Skills with chemistry specific software (e.g Chemdraw, NMR
processing software), as well as word processing software and
spreadsheet software required.
- Prior experience with the synthesis and characterization of
organic and inorganic compounds required.
- The expectations listed below are representative of the
abilities that may be needed to fulfill duties of this position.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical
strength/endurance to enable the candidate to perform/participate
in the following activities:
- Physically able to lift various materials up to 50 pounds on an
- While performing required job tasks, physically able to bend,
crouch and reach continuously.
- While performing required job tasks, physically able to use
arms, hands, fingers, eyes, legs, and back constantly.
- While performing required job tasks, physically able to remain
seated, frequently to continuously.
- While performing required job tasks, physically able to remain
standing up to 50% of the time.
- Possesses dexterity abilities required to operate a computer
and other office and lab equipment to perform related job
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful
completion of a background check.
- To ensure the health and safety of our community AU requires
COVID-19 vaccinations for faculty and staff. Click here to learn
more about our health and safety directive .
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or
contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or
responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time
with or without notice.
Ability to handle highly confidential material, understanding that
all University information should only be disclosed to others who
have a need to know, for legitimate business reasons. Can exercise
and apply sound judgment and decision-making skills as well as the
ability to maintain integrity and confidentiality of data. Has
working functional knowledge of Microsoft Office and Microsoft
Suite software programs. Ability to quickly learn new technology
and is self-motivated to stay current with emerging technologies.
Ability to edit work for spelling and grammar, present numerical
data effectively and can read and interpret written information to
extent amounts. Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and monitors
own work to ensure quality. Adapt to change in the work
environment, manage competing demands and able to deal with
frequent change, delays or unexpected events. Ability to accept
supervision, assignments, change and correction. Proven
effectiveness in dealing with a wide range of professionals, staff,
and administrators. Ability to balance priorities to accomplish
assigned tasks within the required time frame and be able to shift
quickly between several tasks without loss of continuity Ability to
handle crisis situations in a calm and effective manner. Engage in
meaningful and intentional professional development appropriate for
areas of responsibility and actively engage in personal and campus
well-being initiatives. Carry out all responsibilities and
objectives in professional manner. Accept and render constructive
criticism in a professional manner. The ability to develop
knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other
cultures or backgrounds. Adhere to the policies and procedures
established by American University and the College of Arts and
AU offers a competitive benefits package including a 200% matching
retirement plan, tuition benefits for full-time staff and their
families, several leadership development certificates, and has been
recognized by the American Heart Association as a fit-friendly
worksite.Click here to learn about American University's unique
benefit options .
Current American University Employees
If you are a current employee at American University, please log
intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU,
please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal
For more information or assistance with the American University
careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action
institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and
regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy),
age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal
appearance, gender identity and expression, family
responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran
status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases
under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its
programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: