The Immokalee Health Project (IHP) is a grant funded program in
Immokalee by the Collaboratory (previously known as the Southwest
Florida Community Foundation) and directed by faculty from the
Department of Health Sciences and Social Work at Florida Gulf Coast
The purpose of the IHP is to enhance the well-being of Latinos/as
and Haitians in Immokalee, Florida by increasing health literacy
and promoting participants’ knowledge and care of existing physical
Duties include, but are not limited to:
Additional Job Description
- Participate in a two-hour project training.
- Conduct health screenings by finger pricks/blood samples during
Preferred Qualifications :
- Undergraduate or associate degree
- Possess valid Florida state phlebotomy certification
- CITI training
- Availability on weekends
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities :
- Familiarity with Immokalee and the Latino and Haitian
communities in Immokalee
- Valid Driver’s license and own transportation
- Immokalee resident
All employees are expected to :
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws, statues,
regulations, codes, and standards related to the area of
- Knowledge of Latino and Haitian cultures.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication
- Skill in giving full attention to what other people are saying,
taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions
as appropriate, and conveying information effectively.
- Ability to process and handle confidential information with
- Ability to interact in a professional manner with a diverse
group of staff, faculty, students, and the community.
- Ability to display a positive and caring attitude, be
self-motivated and sensitive to multicultural issues.
- Health-related background and knowledge
- Some knowledge of Latino and Haitian cultures
- Promote a common purpose consistent with stated University
goals and demonstrate a commitment to students and the learning
- Possess the knowledge of general written standards and
procedures utilized, and have the ability to read, interpret, and
follow procedural and policy manual related to the job tasks.
- Demonstrate the ability to respond to supervision, guidance and
direction in a positive, receptive manner and in accordance with
- Provide quality customer service by creating a welcoming and
- Present a professional image in word, action and attire.
- Demonstrate professionalism in dealing with a diverse
population while understanding and respecting each other’s view of
the world, personalities and working styles.
- Apply effective techniques to create working relationships with
others to achieve common goals; successfully communicates and
collaborates with others to achieve goals.
- Demonstrate skills necessary to look at situations and
processes critically to make recommendations for improvement.
FGCU is an EOE AA /F/Vet/Disability Employer.