The Center for International Research, Education, and Development
(CIRED) is a university-wide center within Virginia Tech’s Division
of Outreach and International Affairs (OIA). It supports the
university’s international mission by identifying and pursuing
partnerships and funding opportunities for Virginia Tech faculty
members in order to advance the university’s discovery, teaching
and outreach missions through work in developing countries. CIRED
matches university expertise and experience to sponsors’ objectives
in order to win funding for projects that improve people’s lives.
In doing so, CIRED enriches the international dimension of the
university’s curriculum and research. This engagement strengthens
faculty and student capabilities for high-quality,
multidisciplinary international engagement.
A successful candidate should exhibit a strong interest for
international project work.
The Associate Director for Finance and Administration reports
directly to the CIRED Executive Director. The position oversees
CIRED’s financial and human resources (HR) operations, which
includes the supervision of accounting activities, personnel
actions, proposal development, and project management to ensure
operational effectiveness and compliance.
- Master's degree in Business Management, Accounting, or related
financial field or bachelor’s degree with significant
- Proven track record and progressive responsibility for financial
- Experience developing complex budgets for multi-partner
- Experience with nonprofit institution accounting.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
and delegate work to team members.
- Significant experience with human resources management and
- High level of competence with spreadsheets, databases, accounting
systems, data management and modern information technology.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills.
- Sensitivity to the cultural norms of a variety of cultures and
- Familiarity with management of donor-funded international grants
- Working knowledge of U.S. government and university business
policies and procedures.
- Experience interpreting and applying USAID guidelines and other
federal regulations applicable to grants and contracts.
- Knowledge of LLC governance and compliance.
- Accounting or auditing certification.
- Proficiency in one or more foreign languages is a plus.
up to $97,500 (maximum salary)
beginning September 20, 2022
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim
(That I May Serve),
Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a
hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be
leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution
that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the
world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community
to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more
than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000
undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight
, a school of
, a veterinary
college, Graduate School
, and Honors College
. The university
has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus
in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in
Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices
. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech
conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or
applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including
pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic
information, national origin, political affiliation, race,
religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise
discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about,
discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of
other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an
accommodation, please contact Nancy Gruber, Director of Finance
and Administration for Engagement
during regular business
hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
August 5, 2022