The successful candidate for this role will enjoy working collaboratively with diverse stakeholders and students, act as a problem solver and emphasize outcomes that provide an exemplary transition experience for students and their families/advocates. They will have a commitment to contributing positively to an inclusive environment for students and colleagues.
TAMUT values diversity among its leadership, faculty, staff, and students and is committed to promoting fairness, equity, and inclusion throughout the University. We believe that a shared commitment to a diverse, inclusive environment helps advance our mission, fosters collaboration, and enables our students and employees to achieve a sense of well-being and belonging.
The Manager, First Year Experience and Students in Transition will report to the Assistant Vice President (AVP) for Student Success and will be responsible for the development, implementation, and assessment of the first-year experience and other student transition programming. The Manager will coordinate curricular and co-curricular programming that enhances the quality and success of students' transition to the University.
Under direction of the AVP for Student Success, the Manager, First Year Experience and Students in Transition, plans, organizes, directs, and manages day-to-day activities related to student transitions including developing and implementing procedures for the administration of the program. The Manager will collaborate with administration, faculty, departments, staff, and students to ensure that new students are provided a quality, comprehensive transition experience that promotes student learning, persistence, and academic success.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Create, implement, and assess programs and services that empower students to succeed personally and academically.
- Assist in providing strategic plans and goals to support the programs that support undergraduates' academic transition and success by collaborating with other departments (such as Program for Learning and Community Engagement, Student Life, Academic Advising, Academic Colleges, Admissions, Athletics, etc.)
- Develop, coordinate, and assess transition programs for specific student cohorts (e.g., first year, transfer, undeclared, athletes, etc.) and family programs that are designed to enhance student success including managing fiscal operations.
- Create and implement strategies to facilitate student awareness of available support and transition resources and programs and provide ongoing trainings for faculty and staff.
- Conduct research to utilize best practices related to student development theory and practice, student success and retention (such as First-Year Experience (FYE), Transfer Student Experience (TSE), freshman seminars and learning communities, transfer services, family programs, retention-related technologies, early alert systems, academic advising, enrollment services, etc.) for improving undergraduates’ retention and time-to-degree completion.
- In collaboration with all stakeholders and other university departments and colleges, coordinate student transition and family relations programming, including but not limited to orientation, convocation, freshman seminar, common reading experience, academic coaching, academic advising, family programs.
- Establish, coordinate and serve as an ongoing resource for the student transition peer facilitator/mentor program; hire, train, supervise and facilitate meetings for new and returning peer leaders.
- Coordinate and evaluate success of a potential Summer Bridge Program (course-based summer academy offering curricular and co-curricular programming designed to engage students with necessary campus resources to enhance academic success) ensuring that all program stipulations are met.
- In collaboration with Academic Advising, monitor first-year students' academic progress; plan and execute intervention strategies for first-year students who receive academic alerts.
- Implement assessment plan to identify and assess students' needs and maintain data/reports to document impact of student transitions and family relations programs and services and serve on committees as assigned.
- Develop and cultivate inclusive working relationships with students, faculty, staff, and community members.
- This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. Other duties may be assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Bachelor’s degree in applicable field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Five years of related experience (that may include professional experience in programs serving students in transition programs, academic advising, academic support services, first-year experience, transfer-student experience, student affairs, etc.)
- Knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications
- Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively to ensure understanding
- Master’s degree in related field
- Three years of professional experience in higher education, specifically in programs serving new students (first time-in-college and transfer), including but not limited to experience in academic advising, academic support, first-year experience, transfer-student experience, family relations, developmental education, student affairs, student activities, residential housing, etc.
- Three years of experience in creating and analyzing student data and reports.
- Experience working with diverse student populations.
- Prior supervisory experience
- Demonstrated success in program development and enhancement
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
- Ability to travel and work beyond normal office hours
- Ability to work effectively in an inclusive, team-oriented environment dedicated to assisting others achieve their fullest potential.
SUPERVISION OF PERSONNEL:
This position generally supervises student employees.
Expected salary range is $42,666 - $60,952/annually.
OPEN UNTIL FILLED. To receive full consideration, you must have your application in before 08/20/2022
Please apply on our site at https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/TAMUT_External/job/Texarkana-TAMUT/Manager-of-First-Year-Experience-and-Students-in-Transition_R-052315.
The following documents will need to be uploaded with your application: cover letter, resume, 3 professional reference's contact information and with one reference being a supervisor/manager and copies of your transcripts in the questionnaire section of your application.