College of Business ( COB ) at Coppin State University is seeking a
Placement Director who will develop and oversee a comprehensive
placement program for the students. The major responsibilities
include identifying and developing student internship and
service-learning opportunities; implementing a professional
development program (soft skills development); maintaining data on
internships, service learning, alumni, and employers; planning for
and organizing career readiness events and workshops; and
standardizing student placement practices in the College. The
Director will assume responsibility for program evaluation and
- Build and maintain relationships with potential employers;
identify and develop student internship and service-learning
opportunities; work with faculty and department chairs from
different areas within the COB to identify, evaluate, train, and
assign the eligible students; monitor and follow up with the
employers, students, and faculty after placement; and evaluate and
collect data at the conclusion of each assignment.
- Develop and implement a Professional Development Program to
prepare students with soft skills required in the workplace
(workshop sessions on resume preparation, interviewing skills,
dinner etiquettes, networking and other career-readiness
- Work with the dean and the department chairs to establish the
student placement and career development strategies of the COB ;
review the current Coppin and COB student career
development-related activities; and redesign and establish standard
internship and service-learning course/practices/processes within
the COB .
- Build and maintain a database of students internship and
- Develop an evaluation and assessment program including employer
surveys/evaluations data, alumni data, and data on current and
potential employers; and support the COB accreditation and
assessment related projects or grant opportunities.
- Participate in on/off campus career development related
activities; organize career readiness events and workshops,
including virtual events/seminars or social media-based activities,
for students; and conduct other duties as needed.
- A Master’s degree from an accredited college or university is
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- At least three years of related experience in higher education
- Internship, experiential learning, or service-learning related
curriculum development experience is preferred.
- Experience in conducting trainings is preferred.
Physical Demands of Position:
- Excellent interpersonal and organization skills
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Strong computer skills and fluent with Microsoft Office suite,
especially, Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Teams, and
- Experience with Blackboard is preferred
- Strong social media skills
- Event or workshop planning skills.
Conditions of Employment
Position Detail Information
- Most time will be spent in a typical office environment using a
computer and attending meetings or visiting other offices on
- May be required to visit or travel to the potential employers
or partners outside the campus.
- In-state or out-of- state travel may be required to attend
student career development related events or workshops.
- No unusual environmental conditions are expected, and
exceptions will be made under special circumstances, such as a
Position Detail Information
Position End Date (if temporary)
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicant
COVID -19 vaccinations are strongly encouraged for all University
employees. Medical and religious exemption request are accepted and
are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Please submit any/all
documents related to this matter to AskHR@coppin.edu.