Hudson County Community College
Student Services Assistant
Reports to: Associate Dean of Enrollment, Financial Aid, or Advisement
Posting date: August 4, 2022
Hudson County Community College (HCCC) is an award-winning, comprehensive urban college serving one of the most historic and ethnically diverse areas of the United States. HCCC students were born in 119 countries and speak 29 different languages. The diversity and the multitude of our community’s cultures, life experiences, skills and aspirations, are the very values and traits that empower us to be productive and caring members of our society.
HCCC embodies an unwavering commitment to student success and an intentional focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion. In 2019, the President’s Advisory Council on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (PACDEI) was instituted to develop new levels of understanding and access and advance the College’s commitment to transparency and inclusion. We are proud of the differences we share, which are the foundation for the life-changing and transformational education we offer and the social mobility we provide to the communities we serve.
HCCC has three campuses located just minutes from Manhattan: The Journal Square campus in Jersey City and North Hudson Campus in Union City are adjacent to vital transportation hubs; the Secaucus Center has abundant parking. Fully accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, the College offers courses and classes in a wide variety of disciplines to the people and businesses of Hudson County, one of the most ethnically diverse areas of the United States. The College was recently recognized with the 2021 Association of Community College Trustees (ACCT) Northeast Regional Equity Award, and the 2021 INSIGHT into Diversity’s Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award. In 2016 the Gabert Library was one of three academic libraries in the United States to receive the Excellence in Academic Libraries Award from the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL), and in 2019 the HCCC Tutoring Center received the Frank L. Christ Outstanding Learning Center Award for Two-Year Institutions. In 2019, the College joined Achieving the Dream, a network of high achieving community colleges, part of its expanding effort toward continuous improvement in student success.
HCCC has partnerships with every major four-year college and university in the greater New Jersey-New York area and beyond, accommodating seamless transfer of credits for further undergraduate and graduate education. Hudson County Community College is proud of its culture of care and invites applications from those wishing to join a community dedicated to promoting student success in all forms.
The Student Services Assistant (SSA) position provides exemplary frontline customer service in multiple functional areas, including, but not limited to, admissions, testing, financial aid, advising, transfer, registration, and career services. The SSA handles tier one student service support and refers tier two tasks to the appropriate department specialists.
1. Becomes knowledgeable in all aspects of student services processes at HCCC, including admissions, testing, financial aid, advising, transfer, registration, and career services to assist students with a majority of their inquiries or concerns, with a “one stop” mindset.
2. On a rotating basis, provides front line customer service to current and prospective students, parents, visitors, etc. in various student services departments. Provides information, explains federal and state regulations and College policies and procedures, responds to general inquiries, and/or refers individuals to the appropriate contact or area of the College for prompt resolution.
3. Following established policies and procedures in accordance with federal and state rules and regulations, accurately enters, verifies, researches student records information in a timely manner, utilizing the College's systems in Admissions, Financial Aid, Advising, etc.
4. Utilizes the College's document imaging system for electronic records management and retrieval; completes related scanning and linking tasks as needed.
5. Addresses student inquiries via in person, phone, text, or e-mail communication. Conducts outreach to prospective and/or current students as needed.
6. Provides support to student services offices by answering telephones and responding to and/or appropriately referring calls to contribute to the provision of customer service satisfaction.
7. Provides assistance to other frontline student services personnel as needed.
8. In addition to above responsibilities, may also perform one or more specialized activities in any Student Affairs/Enrollment department as needed.
9. Projects a positive self-image of professionalism, appearance, confidentiality, courtesy, conduct, honesty, fairness, and personal integrity at all times.
10. May perform other data entry, clerical, and customer services activities, as required. Remains flexible and adaptable in work schedules and work assignments as defined by College and departmental needs, including occasional evenings and weekends.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
· Associate Degree or equivalent Junior status at a college or university.
· One year of related experience in an educational environment, social service agency, or in the private business sector.
· Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
· Bi-lingual (English/Arabic or English/Spanish Preferred)
· Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced work environment, with demonstrated multitasking and problem-solving skills
· Excellent interpersonal, written and oral skills
· Ability to work independently and within a team-oriented setting
· Ability to use discretion and judgment
· Typing/keyboard and technology skills (Microsoft Suite, Outlook/Email, etc.)
· Proficiency with various computer software programs and an electronic student information system
Review of applications to begin
For full consideration please send a resume, cover letter, and a list of three professional references to email@example.com and resumes@hccc. edu.
COVID-related Information and Vaccination Requirements. https://www.hccc.edu/community/returntocampus/index.html
As a New Jersey First Act Employer, new employees must establish a primary residence in New Jersey within one year unless an exemption applies.
HCCC is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We are committed to ensuring a diverse and inclusive learning and working environment. Decisions on employment are made on the basis of the qualifications of an individual for the particular position being filled. Women, veterans and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Take Survey(Hudson County Community College -Student Services Assistant Survey (surveymonkey.com)