NEW Department Chair Positions
University of South Carolina College of Nursing is expanding to serve our growing student population and mission. We invite you to join our innovative and talented team.
Department Chair of Professional Nursing Practice
The Department Chair will devote 50% of time for administrative effort.
- Provide visionary leadership with future-oriented thinking about the direction of the Professional Nursing Practice department and the College of Nursing.
- Serve as a role model for department faculty while developing and maintaining a positive and productive work environment that promotes excellence in teaching, scholarship, and service.
- Facilitate faculty development opportunities within the department, such as writing groups, mentoring groups, etc., and mentors faculty on promotion and career progression.
- Lead/ facilitate nominations for national awards and fellowships. Work with CON Awards committee to nominate faculty for CON, University, state, and regional awards.
- Support shared governance (faculty councils and administrative) to shape the department’s mission and significant outcomes.
- Oversees departmental academic program support, ensuring program effectiveness, including monitoring curricular/program review, assessment, and classroom scheduling.
- Monitor the department faculty’s scholarship, teaching, practice, and service contributions while maintaining a climate that encourages faculty success, creativity, and innovation.
- Collaborate with other department chairs to determine teaching assignments and faculty workload.
- Recruit, retain, and evaluate departmental faculty to assist them in developing their full potential as educators, researchers/scholars, practitioners, leaders, and College and University citizens in the department.
- Approve faculty appointments, merit advancements, and promotions in consultation with departmental and Senior Leadership teams in accordance with CON and university policies.
- Manage faculty travel budget within the department.
- Work collaboratively with the Senior Leadership team and all faculty to implement the mission and vision for the College.
- Collaborates with other senior leadership in evaluating Strategic Plan outcomes, annual BluePrint reporting, and other annual reports.
- Maintains own faculty responsibilities/activities according to faculty status and rank.
Earned doctorate in Nursing or related field. Eligible for licensure in South Carolina. Meets rank for Associate Professor or Professor for either Tenure Track or Professional Track. Evidence of an understanding of University policies and procedures for education. Demonstrates evidence of collaboration in research, service, and scholarship. Ability to work effectively across all levels with the USC health sciences. Strong written and verbal skills. Evidence of ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality. History of managing faculty and staff and excellent interpersonal skills. History of progressive academic leadership positions (i.e., Council/committee chair, program director, assistant dean, center director, and/or other academic leadership positions). An innovative thought leader in pre-licensure nursing education.