A.T. Still University (ATSU) is seeking an exempt Associate
Director of Development – Leadership Giving on the Kirksville,
Missouri campus. The position reports to the Associate Vice
President for University Advancement (AVPUA). The purpose of this
position is to strengthen ATSU’s donor pipeline and build our
leadership annual giving (Founding Members) program ($1,000+
donors) through personal visits after the identification,
qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of ATSU’s
annual fund donors. This includes directing all activities
associated with securing leadership annual giving for ATSU from
alumni, parents, corporations, foundations, and friends. This
position will also assist in project management as assigned by the
AVPUA or their designee.
Major Job Duties
- Maintain a portfolio of approximately 100-125 leadership annual
giving prospects and personally manage the identification,
qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of those
- Research, develop, and implement a leadership annual giving
program to include stewardship clubs for annual giving leadership
levels ($1,000 - $10,000) to include benefits designed to increase
involvement/affinity with the University and ATSU’s president and
- Work with the Annual Fund officer transitioning annual fund
donors to leadership annual giving while also assisting major and
planned gift officers as they move mid-level donors into major and
- Conduct approximately 120 personal visits annually and work
collaboratively with other gift officers to achieve personal and
team fundraising goals as identified by the AVPUA and reviewed
weekly and quarterly as a team.
- Provide support to ATSU Alumni Relations and ATSU donor
engagement programs as needed or assigned.
- Establish and maintain files/databases on donors/gifts in
conjunction with ATSU’s central data management systems and utilize
ATSU’s “Moves Management” system to update prospects Talisma
- Work cooperatively with the advancement team, University
officers, faculty, and fellow ATSU employees to accomplish goals
and complete tasks requiring a team effort.
- Match University needs as identified in the ATSU Strategic Plan
with interest of potential donors.
- Complete other fund-raising activities as assigned by the AVPUA
or their designee.
- Assist in identifying and contributing to donor impact stories
for University publications.
- Develop an annual contact and solicitation plan from assigned
portfolio and coordinate the plan with the AVPUA.
- Maintain working knowledge of estate plans/bequests, corporate
& foundation giving, and annual fund strategies.
- Work with and coordinate with other staff and volunteers as the
- Represent University at conventions, campus activities, certain
alumni events, fundraisers, etc.
- Report periodically on assigned Schools and/or
- Develop and implement giving plans for alumni, parents,
friends, fellow employees, community members, etc.
- Host and entertain visiting ATSU alumni/friends. Travel as
required to cultivate and secure leadership gifts.
- Assist with production of donor recognition
- Complete other duties as assigned by the Associate Vice
President for University Advancement or their designee.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Communications, or Liberal
- Knowledge of terminology and a working knowledge of the
charitable gift process
- Knowledge regarding the law associated with 501(c)3
organizations and general fund-raising principles is required
- Should know how to use software affiliated with development
- Proficient in the English language
- Higher education and/or healthcare experience is highly
- Proven record of communicating/working with individuals and
other entities to achieve successful desired results
- Skill at working with prospects and their advisors toward the
successful negotiation and closing of leadership gifts
- Ability to work collegially in a multifaceted academic
- Operation of office equipment and computer literacy
- High ethics
- Driven to achieve success
- Ability to attend evening and weekend events and functions
ATSU offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical,
dental, and vision coverages, among more. If eligible,
employee-elected benefits would begin the first of the month
following hire date. For more information, please visit: atsu.edu/employment/benefits