Job Posting Details
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) is a world-renowned international research university. The Ministry of Education of People's Republic of China officially approved the preparatory status of The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (Guangzhou) (HKUST (GZ)) in September 2019. The Guangzhou campus covers 1.13 square kilometres and the first phase of construction is expected to be completed in 2022. At steady state, the number of undergraduate and postgraduate students will reach a total of 10,000. The intended areas of focus in the GZ Campus will be thematic and cross-disciplinary in nature, synergistic with HKUST without overlapping academic degrees or structures. Four Academic Hubs (equivalent to schools) with 16 Thrust Areas (equivalent to departments) are now in place.
HKUST(GZ) is seeking applications and nominations for the position of Vice-President for Research (VPR). Reporting to and working closely with the President as part of the senior leadership team, major areas of responsibilities of the VPR include but are not limited to:
- providing the overall leadership and strategic development of university-wide research agenda and overseeing related research institutes and centers;
- working closely with the senior management team and the University community at large to provide leadership in research by encouraging and facilitating research and engagement among faculty and students,
- developing and facilitating directions and scopes for research in Guangzhou campus while creating synergies in research between the Clear Water Bay and Guangzhou campuses;
- responsible for leading the university’s strategic plan and application of research funding opportunities with special focus on various Mainland government funding schemes from national to local levels.
- serving as a member of the University’s senior management team to advance the overall well-being and to address any particular challenges and risks faced by HKUST(GZ).
The VPR is expected to be a well-recognized researcher with international standing, high academic qualifications and a record of outstanding contributions to scholarship with evidence of research impact; together with vision, energy and commitment as well as substantial administrative experiences in leading the University’s research activities to the next level of excellence.
Terms & Applications/Nominations
The post of VPR is a full-time appointment, normally for an initial term of 5 years, and renewable subject to mutual agreement. Competitive remuneration and generous fringe benefits, including housing where appropriate, will be provided.
Applications should consist of a covering letter and a full Curriculum Vitae which include narrative detailing the nature and responsibilities of senior posts held.
To apply, or to download further information about the role, please visit https://candidates.perrettlaver.com/vacancies/ quoting reference number 5884.
Applications and nominations may also be directed in confidence to Mr Kieran Pollentine by email firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of candidates will begin shortly and continue until the position is filled.
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (Guangzhou) is committed to diversity in recruitment and equal opportunity employment.
(Information provided by applicants will be used for recruitment and other employment-related purposes. All application materials including publication samples and scholarly/creative works will be disposed of after the completion of the recruitment exercise.)
- 负责领导大学的研究议程及其战略发展，并监督相关的研究所和研究中心； 与高级管理团队和整个大学社区密切合作，引领、鼓励和促进师生参与科研活动； 发展和促进广州校园的研究方向和范围，促进清水湾校园和广州校园在研究领域的协同与合作； 负责制定、领导科研的战略计划及落实，尤其是从国家到地方的各级政府科研项目经费的申请； 担任大学高层管理团队的一员，促进大学的整体利益及应对大学面临的挑战和风险。
如您期望申请或自荐, 请将完整简历以邮件形式发送至：Mr Kieran Pollentine (email@example.com)。简历筛选将很快开始，直到职位招满为止