At New Jersey’s largest community college, our goals are centered
on an ethic of care, student success, and continuous improvement.
We take our mission to help students attain their goals very
seriously; the Dean of Business and Social Sciences is an
invaluable part of that effort. The Division of Academic Affairs is
led by a Vice President and six talented and diverse Deans. We are
a highly collaborative team, and eliminate barriers to completion
and empower our award winning faculty to reach even greater levels
of engagement and goal achievement.
Strategic planning and operational leadership for the Division of
Business and Social Science. Leads department heads, coordinators
and faculty in the development, implementation and evaluation of
new and existing curricula. Ensures systematic assessment
activities, reviews facilities requirements, and manages fiscal
The dean works collaboratively with department chairs to oversee
the development of annual goals consistent with the College’s
strategic plan and the president’s board approved goals. Conducts
systematic assessment of academic programs, departments, and
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Plans and develops the instructional objectives for the
Division of Business and Social Science.
- Leads the development of pedagogical techniques and
supplemental instruction to support student success in divisional
courses and programs; provides guidance in 2 + 2, school-to-work
and workforce development programs.
- Evaluates full and part time faculty performance, engages in
classroom observations and prepares summative reports.
- Recommends the appointment, reappointment and promotions of
full and part time faculty and professional/technical assistants;
supervises recruitment and oversees salaries.
- Designates faculty for various assignments including teaching,
registration and committee participation.
- Oversees supplies and equipment used to support instructional
programs; oversees master course scheduling and facilities
- Provides leadership to department heads, coordinators and
faculty in development of grants.
- Serves on the Dean’s Council, Management Team & and other
appropriate college committees.
- Oversees development and implementation of agreements between
high schools, Bergen Community College, and 4-year
- Prepares and/or supervises communications, catalogs and other
informational literature for instructional division;
prepares/compiles general and annual reports.
- Serves or may serve as the administration representative on the
negotiations or other
- committees; and as grievance hearing officer at the informal
stage of grievance procedures.
- Develops a set of core outcomes for unit and measures and
tracks annual performance against objectives; prepares and submits
annual assessment report to the designated office; and fully
engages with the College’s Assessment Program.
- Prepares, track, monitors and adheres to an annual budget; does
cost projections for all activities, programs and courses and
approves work orders and purchase requisitions.
- Acts as performance manager for all direct reports including
managing day to day performance, completing and communicating
written performance evaluations, approving requested time off and
other points of compliance with HR rules, regulations and unit
collective bargaining agreements.
- Subject to senior management review and final board approval,
has the responsibility, power and authority to hire, fire,
discipline and promote employees.
- Performs additional tasks or duties as assigned by the Vice
President of Academic Affairs or other designated management.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- Reports to Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- Supervises: Managing Director of the Child Development Center;
Chairs of: Business and Hotel/Restaurant/Hospitality Management;
Criminal Justice and Legal Studies; Social Sciences; and an
Executive Secretary; oversees Senior Secretaries.
- Exhibits strong communication and collaboration skills,
effectively works with both internal and external constituencies of
- Performs work in a manner that furthers the College’s mission
- Annual Salary ranges from $95,000 – $115,000.
- NJ Educators Health Plan with free Vision and Dental. NJ State
- 23 vacation days, 16 sick days, 5 personal days, 2 floating
holidays, all designated holidays and 5 non-designated holidays a
year. 5 Partial Sick Days.
- Tuition reimbursement opportunities for staff and their family
6 months after hire.
Master’s Degree required; Doctorate
Minimum of 7 years of higher education
experience including 2 years of administrative experience as a
department chair or higher, plus 2 years of community college
teaching or administration. Disciplinary experience in Business and
Social Sciences preferred.
Demonstrates understanding of the community college mission and
practices an open-door policy. Must have demonstrated ability to
employ a balanced and positive approach to all work activities and
work collaboratively across various constituencies of the College
and with vendors and external constituencies.
Exhibits strong skills in communication, customer and student
focus, building relationships, organizing, and planning;
technologically proficient in common office desktop software and
familiar with cloud based computing and collaborative platforms and
All interested candidates should send a letter of intent (including
the job code BC-DBSS
), resume, salary requirements and three
professional references with current contact information. To ensure
full consideration, all requested application materials must be
received by August 20th , 2022
. Send materials by
email with the appropriate job code in the subject line to
Bergen Community College
Department of Human Resources
400 Paramus Road, Room A-316
Paramus, New Jersey 07652