DEPARTMENT: Academy of Future Education
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Education
POSITION TITLE: Director of Learning and Teaching
LOCATION: Suzhou Campus
POSITION OPEN DATE: 15th June 2022
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 31st August 2022
CONTRACT TYPE: Full time, fixed-Term/3-year contract, renewable. The 3rd contract is open-ended.
JOB ID: 2779
Located in Suzhou, China, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young, dynamic and EMI university founded in 2006, and is a unique collaborative institution and the first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for more than 100 programmes. XJTLU aims to become increasingly research-led and has committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of master’s and PhD student numbers on campus. The university has over 20,000 students and nearly 1000 academic staff representing in excess of 90 nationalities. For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn
ACADEMY AND DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW:
The Academy of Future Education at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is at the heart of an educational innovation ecosystem that focuses on educational research, exploration and support while at the same time disseminating a unique philosophy and a host of new practices for the future of higher education for pre-University other levels too. The core mission of the Academy is to play a pioneering and influential role in all forms of education innovation and reform in China, and beyond. To do this, the Academy delivers a variety of projects and programmes that contribute to future education based on a fundamental approach dedicated to the ongoing development of an ecosystem for educational innovation. Four units including the Department of Educational Studies (EDS), Institute of Leadership & Education Advanced Development (ILEAD), Learning Institute for Future Excellence (LIFE), and Educational Development Unit (EDU) constitute the Academy of Future Education. The key projects and programmes of the Academy range across: master’s and doctoral degree programmes in education; research projects on future education; creating a community of educational innovators; professional development programmes for educational practitioners, and programmes to support student learning excellence as well as the development of online-onsite hybrid learning environments and resources. The Academy supports individuals and institutions at all levels including all the K-15 schools as well as new vocational education colleges and higher education institutions.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
The Director of Learning and Teaching in the Academy of Future Education is a key role in the management and development of degree programmes and the delivery of learning and teaching activities, and the role holder leads on the development and implementation of Academy strategy for learning and teaching. The Director reports directly to the Executive Dean of the Academy.
The designation for this position ranges from associate professor, to senior associate professor, and up to full professor in education.
- The Director of Learning and Teaching provides leadership and oversight for the development of degree programmes and the delivery of teaching in the Academy. The Director is a member of the Academy of Future Education Senior Management Team. It is the responsibility of the Director of Learning and Teaching to ensure that teaching programmes maximise the market opportunities for the Academy; that the content of modules is kept up to date; and that new advances in teaching technology and academic discussions are accommodated.
- The Director has oversight of all teaching activities in the four units. The Director is responsible for putting measures in place to encourage the development of best teaching practice within the four units. The Director is responsible for enhancing student learning experience in the Academy, and overseeing strategic development of existing and new degree programmes at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. The Director may be asked to take on specific administrative tasks by the Executive Dean of Academy. These include service on committees and working parties, as well as tasks related to learning and teaching.
- The Director plays a leading role in the Academy Learning and Teaching Committee and is often, but not necessarily, the Chair of this Committee. The Director may assist the Academy Senior Management Team in the effective delivery of line management and of Annual Professional Reviews.
- The Director reports directly to the Executive Dean. The Director of Learning and Teaching works closely with the Associate Vice President for Education on the formulation and implementation of the University Education Strategy. The Director works closely with Academy Senior Management Team to ensure the development of an appropriate learning and teaching environment. The Director works closely with the HoDs of four units in the Academy to ensure programs and modules meet market demand, appropriate standards of delivery, and student expectations. The Director works closely with all Programme Directors in the four units in the Academy to ensure the effective presentation and delivery of programmes of learning and teaching. The Director works closely with the Academy Learning and Teaching Committee and particularly with the Chair to ensure the highest standards of quality assurance in teaching planning and delivery are met. The Director of Learning and Teaching is the Academy representative in the University Learning and Teaching Committee.
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate:
- Significant leadership and management accomplishments in Learning & Teaching Self-reliance and the ability to work autonomously The ability to develop and implement a strategic vision Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
We are looking for someone with the ambition, creativity and organizational skills to succeed in an exciting environment of continued growth and significant change. Applicants should:
- Be educated to PhD degree level; Have at least five years of teaching experience at university level; Have significant recent experience of management in a higher education context, for example, experience of being a module leader, or programme director; Significant team leadership experience in an HE L&T context; Be able to demonstrate an understanding of a principled approach to pedagogy.
- Experience of successful development and implementation of curricula in education, and/or teaching quality enhancement programmes; Experience of working within quality assurance frameworks that are institutional, national and international; Experience working in a transnational educational context with Chinese and/or UK partner institutions;
- The status of FHEA or higher from the Higher Education Academy in the UK and a willingness to acquire even higher levels of status based on achievements in this role.
In addition to the base salary, members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, children’s education, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
Range of Annual Base Pay (gross):
Lecturer: 280k-320k RMB
Assistant Professor: 360k-400k RMB
Associate Professor: 450k-490k RMB
Senior Associate Professor: 540k-580k RMB
Professor: above 650k RMB, negotiable
Additionally, the Director of Learning & Teaching is eligible to receive a monthly duty allowance of 3000 rmb.
Please submit your application online through:
In the subject line write the Position you are applying for and quote the job ID number for reference.
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes:
- A cover letter (Expression of Interest) A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.
Informal enquiries about the positions and the Acacemy may be addressed to the Executive Dean, Dr. Xiaojun Zhang (Xiaojun.email@example.com) and/or the Associate Vice President for Education Professor Zhoulin Ruan (firstname.lastname@example.org). Other informal enquiries may be addressed to HR at email@example.com. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.