Colgate Athletics seeks to be a welcoming and diverse association
of students, coaches, staff, alumni and fans in which all people
are treated equitably and respectfully, and can contribute fully to
our success; we share common goals, we affirm open communication
and civility, we honor the sacredness of each person, we accept
responsibility to act for the common good, we care for and serve
one another, and we honor our history while celebrating our
evolution; and, we strive to consistently perform at the upper
range of our potential, to get better every day with a goal to win
– to win in competition, in the classroom, in the community and in
the lives of every member of the Colgate Community.
This is a 10-month position, with a continuation of University
provided benefits during the off months.
Responsible for execution of specific strategic activities and
outcomes within assigned sport or area. These will include
sustained performance and execution in the following areas:
- adherence to Head Coach’s philosophy
- athletic instruction/coaching
- program operations and administration as designated by the head
Responsible for oversight of all administrative operations
regarding student-athlete development. These will include:
- Monitoring of student-athlete academic progress and
- Ensure student-athlete participation in all assigned community
Responsible for execution of all scouting, film preparation, and
competition preparation. These will include:
- video breakdown
- use of appropriate video-editing software
- coordination and oversight over film exchange program per
- coordination of team film sessions
- development of scouting reports
Responsible for overall team recruitment strategy.
- Exercises independent judgment regarding recruitment of
- Decision-making authority to determine which individuals to
- attracting and evaluating prospective student-athletes
- monitoring prospective student-athlete academic progress and
- developing and maintaining relationships with prospective
student-athletes and other recruiting constituents
Accountable for maintaining personal compliance with all relevant
governing bodies to include:
- specific conference
- athletic department
- university policies
- attendance at all required compliance educational meetings
- successful on-time completion of all recruiting logs
Accountable for maintaining professional relationships with key
internal and external stakeholders. To include:
- Responsible for all newsletters and communication with
- Responsible for team promotion and marketing to all
- Responsible for determining communication strategy within the
university and local community
Independent and unchallengeable decision-making regarding all
student-athlete participation in assigned sport activities when the
head coach is not present. Accountable for student-athlete welfare
Responsible for maintaining a budget. Exercises discretion on all
purchases for program.
Responsible for hiring, oversight, and management of student
managers and part-time casual wage staff. Assistant Coach has
independent discretion on all hiring and termination of student
Responsible for role modeling behaviors and leadership for
Colgate Athletics Mission:
To be an inclusive community of competitive excellence
Athletics Department Values:
Thoughtful – Careful, reasoned, inclusive thinking
Driven – Relentless, energetic, focused pursuit of courageous
Enthusiastic – Passionate, positive, fun presence
Cohesive – Close—knit, collaborative, consistent teamwork
Bold – Creative, resourceful, fearless winners
This position has been designated as a Campus Security Authority (
CSA ), in accordance with the federal statutory requirements of the
Jeanne Clery Act. CSAs are required to and responsible for
reporting allegations of crimes they receive from students and
employees to the Campus Safety Department.
Professional Experience/ Qualifications
- Collegiate or professional tennis playing experience
Candidates should also demonstrate:
- significant knowledge of tennis,
- strong commitment to the academic success of
- good communication and technology skills,
- and strong leadership qualities.
- Prior experience coaching tennis is preferred, experience
coaching or playing at the Division I level is desired.
- Proven success in recruiting and in coaching at the college or
an equivalently high level.
- Willingness to gain knowledge of and maintain a commitment to
University, Conference, and NCAA regulations.
Bachelor’s degree is required.
Master’s degree is preferred.
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions Summary
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against
any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their
race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin,
marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information,
being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking,
familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is
an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from
historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with
disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
For more information, click the "How to Apply" button.