The University Passenger Driver provides prompt, safe, and reliable
transportation for W&L community members as assigned. Maintains
basic cleanliness and maintenance on University transport vehicles
which include 10 person vans and other multi-passenger
Washington and Lee University actively promotes a dynamic and
inclusive environment that allows students and employees of
multiple backgrounds, cultures, and perspectives to learn, work,
and thrive together. Successful candidates will contribute to that
environment and exhibit potential for excellence in their areas of
ESSENTIAL AND RELATED FUNCTIONS:
- Provides transportation shuttle services for University
students, faculty, and staff as assigned. This includes local,
in-town, shuttle services, as well as shuttle services to various
airports or other transportation hubs in Virginia, including
Roanoke, Richmond, and the metro Washington D.C. areas.
- Assist passengers with loading luggage into and out of the
- Maintains appropriate passenger limits according to transport
vehicle specifications, and ensures passenger safety during
- Conducts vehicle inspections for safety and damage, and
promptly reports any issues to supervisor.
- Ensures that the transport vehicle is fueled, well-maintained,
clean, and presentable at all times.
- Makes timely reports of accidents, incidents, or other unusual
- Other duties as assigned.
Work hours vary, on an as needed basis, with
mostly daytime hours on both weekdays and weekend. This position
works 10 months of the year, during the academic year, a maximum of
29 hours per week and 999 hours per anniversary year.
$17.00 - Pay Commensurate With Experience
High school diploma or equivalent is
Successful candidate will possess a high degree
of reliability, ability to maintain high degree of confidentiality,
and the ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
Successful candidate will also possess the ability to relate well
to students, faculty and a diverse community. Must possess a valid
Virginia driver’s license and a good driving history. Ability to
sit and/or drive for long periods of time in all weather
Review of applications will begin immediately, and continue until
the positions are filled. A resume and cover letter are optional.
Upload both required documents to the Resume/CV upload section of
the application. You will be asked to provide names and contact
information for three professional references.
External Applicants: Application instructions for external
applicants are located on the jobs.wlu.edu or here
Current W&L Employees: Apply from your existing Workday
account. Instructions are located at jobs.wlu.edu or here
- Fingering: Picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working,
primarily with fingers rather than with whole hand or arm as in
- Grasping: Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and
- Repetitive motions: Making substantial movements (motions) of
the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- Walking: Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly
for long distances or moving from one work site to another.
- Pulling: Using upper extremities to exert force in order to
draw, drag, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion.
- Lifting: Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or
moving objects horizontally from position to-position. This factor
is important if it occurs to a considerable degree and requires the
substantial use of the upper extremities and back muscles.
TYPE OF WORK:
- The worker is subject to both environmental conditions:
Activities occur inside and outside
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force
occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up
to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Non-Exempt, Part Time, Non-Benefit Eligible
The university requires employees to become fully vaccinated for
COVID-19, including a minimum of one booster. New employees must
provide proof of at least their first shot prior to the first day
of employment. Individuals may seek a medical or a religious
exemption to the vaccination requirement.