The Instructional Designer II applies a consultation model to
identify and implement pedagogical approaches and technologies in
collaboration with faculty to enhance student learning. Supports
course design efforts for digital and online modalities. Promotes
innovation in the use of technology and pedagogy for learning,
teaching, and research. Creates and delivers professional
development related to digital and online learning topics.
Florida Gulf Coast University is committed to establishing and
maintaining an inclusive working and learning environment in which
students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social
activities, governance, and all other aspects of the campus life
reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international
At FGCU, we collectively stand against any individual or group that
practices any form of racism, discrimination, intolerance, hate
expressions, or disrespect. We are committed to preparing students
to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in an inherently
diverse country and world made up of people with different ethnic
and racial backgrounds, religious beliefs, abilities, ages, gender
identities, sexual orientations, socio-economic status, cultural
traditions, family statuses, and military backgrounds. FGCU strives
to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just
because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our
University stronger. The University community recognizes the
importance of a diverse and inclusive institution and holds these
ideals as paramount for the current and future success of the
We seek colleagues who promote and embrace diversity, equity, and
inclusion. We encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to
apply for this position as we believe that our University will grow
and move forward through a commitment of equality for all.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
- Works directly with faculty to design/redesign online and
hybrid courses and their learning activities. Identifies and
develops appropriate learning activities and materials that
directly support the learning outcomes.
- Supports faculty in the use of LMS features specific to the
- Collaborates with faculty and Instructional Technology staff to
select and integrate appropriate instructional technology.
- May lead projects related to course design and faculty
- Participates in gathering and analyzing data related to
department projects and initiatives.
- May lead a review of online and hybrid courses.
- Develops new or revises training focused on online and digital
learning teaching and learning.
- Participates in the evaluation of training and recommends
- Collaborates in building Communities of Practice focused on
improving teaching and learning in the online and digital learning
- Assists/trains student workers as required.
- Develops new techniques and procedures to enhance university
- Reviews progress, evaluates results, recommends new processes,
and promotes best practices.
Additional Job Description
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Education,
Educational Technology, Instructional Design, or closely related
- Two years of professional full-time experience as an
Instructional Designer designing or developing courses and learning
activities for courses delivered via a Learning Management System
and supporting faculty in the use of a Learning Management
- Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience,
and/or certifications may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution in Education,
Education Technology, Instructional Design, or closely related
- Three years of professional full-time experience designing and
developing courses and learning activities for courses delivered
via a Learning Management System and supporting faculty in the use
of a Learning Management System.
- Experience designing and delivering professional development
- Experience with action research and/or teaching an online
course in a higher education setting.
Salary Grade 17
FGCU offers a robust benefits package including medical and
dental plans, life insurance, a retirement program with
tax-deferred investment options, tuition waiver for employees and
their families, paid holidays, sick leave, vacation time,
competitive salaries, and a Flexible Alternative Work Locations
(remote work available up to 2 days a week). For additional
information please visit: https://www.fgcu.edu/hr/benefits/
- Knowledge of instructional design principles and effective
- Knowledge of course development and Learning Management System
- Knowledge of software tools used for developing instructional
- Knowledge of adult education principles and practices.
- Skill in using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths
and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication
- Ability to collaborate with faculty to complete an online
course quality review.
- Ability to present effectively to small and large groups.
- Ability to take initiative to plan, organize, coordinate and
perform work in various situations when numerous and diverse
demands are involved.
- Ability to collaborate and work effectively within a diverse
community and willing to contribute to a team effort.
- Ability to work independently and follow through on
- Ability to develop and conduct workshops on a variety of topics
related to online and digital learning.
- Ability to identify and learn new software tools for the
creation of learning materials used in online, hybrid, and
FGCU is an EOE AA /F/Vet/Disability Employer.