The Student Financial Aid Counselor is primarily responsible for meeting with students who need assistance with the financial aid application processes, loan repayment, Workforce Solutions and Continuing Education scholarships, verification processing, and managing the Financial Aid De-Registration process.
A. Student Counseling Responsibilities
1. Meets with students and assists them with the challenges they face in completing the financial aid application processes, including the FAFSA and Verification.
2. Meets with Continuing Education students to collect required application and paperwork for scholarship processing. Counsels on scholarships that are available to students who are enrolled in a Continuing Education program.
3. Meets with students to discuss repayment options and when appropriate assists with deferment, forbearance, and consolidation applications and assists student borrowers in completing the loan counseling process on the internet.
4. Advises financial aid students who are having academic difficulties or are considering withdrawing from classes.
5. Assists students with delicate confidential situations that should not be discussed in the open lobby counter area.
6. Assist in reviewing, calculating, processing, and revising financial aid awards.
B. Workforce Solutions and Continuing Education Financial Aid Processing
1. Assists with advising WSCE students on financial aid opportunities depending on the student’s WSCE program.
2. Processes student applications for WSCE scholarships including, but not limited to, MHEC Workforce Development Sequence Scholarship and GEERS.
3. Reviews documentation required for the WSCE scholarship. Reaches out to WSCE and/or student if documentation is not accurate or further documents are needed for review.
4. Makes sure that all applications, emails/letters, and/or documentation is correctly scanned and categorized in HCC Imaging system.
5. Sends notification to WSCE students regarding scholarship approval or denial with reason(s) for ineligibility.
6. Enter WSCE awards in Colleague (HCC Student Information System).
7. Collaborates with WSCE and SFAO staff on annual set-up of WSCE awarding including costs of programs and term dates.
8. Works with the Director of Financial Aid on new program approval and updates in Colleague.
9. Maintains the program approval, term dates, and program costs spreadsheets.
10. Collaborates with WSCE on new scholarship opportunities and processing flow.
11. Collaborates with SFAO staff, WSCE staff, and Finance Office staff on set-up for new WSCE scholarships.
C. Loan Application Review and De-registration Management
1. Reviews applications for additional unsubsidized loan funds and excessive debt appeals. Process requests for deceased loan borrowers who still owe a balance to prevent default and reviews skip-tracing reports from lenders and responds with the most current updated demographic contact information available in Colleague date system.
2. Determines the amount that graduates have borrowed and loan servicer information, then produce letters through mail merge with this information for HCC graduates each semester.
3. Reviews FA De-registration lists each semester and contact students by email or phone to suggest payment plans and advise of financial aid application status.
D. Verification Processing
1. Monitors and maintains the verification hold queue.
2. Performs the verification process: compares the reported information submitted on the FAFSA to the Verification Worksheet and the IRS tax return transcript for students and/or parents.
3. Follows up with students about conflicting information based on the documentation student has submitted.
4. Responsible for electronic submission of financial aid applications and corrections.
E. General Office Managerial Duties
1. Assists with Financial Aid presentations and Commencement ceremonies.
2. Assists in updating Financial Aid forms and materials.
3. Assists with the management of special processes and projects as assigned by the Director of Student Financial Aid and/or the Student Financial Aid Manager.
4. Assists with evening coverage for the SFAO office, as needed.
5. Performs the duties of the other Student Financial Aid Counselors in their absence.
6. Monitor text message system daily for individual texting number.
7. Provide phone and email support, as needed.
For more information on this position and to formally apply, please visit HCC's employment page at https://secure6.saashr.com/ta/6160104.careers?ShowJob=436642392.
Questions may be directed to the Human Resources Office at 240-500-2585 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.