The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB), Department of Medicine - Division of Finance & Payroll is currently recruiting for a full-time Payroll Senior Accountant. This position will report to the DOM Human Resources Generalist. The Payroll Senior Accountant - DOM will be responsible for the practice plan payroll and related assignments along with UMB payroll management. The position will support the DOM overall payroll functions including budget reconciliations. The position will assist with departmental database updates and reconciliations. Benefits Information: UMB offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools. UMB requires all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources. Primary Duties:
- Perform practice plan payroll using ADP including processing of biweekly payroll, yearend payroll adjustments including issuing W-2’s, quarterly payroll tax filings with ADP, and worker’s compensation audit for the practice plan.
- Support all the job functions related to the practice plan pension plan which includes monthly pension contribution remittance, annual audit preparation and Form 5500 filing, minimum participant distribution maintenance, performance monitoring analysis, monthly contribution/distribution reports download, summary annual report and TIAA-CREF disclosure report mailings and monitor of minimum balances for distribution for terminated employees.
- Provide backup to the existing staff for processing the practice plan staff payroll with FPI.
- Provide backup to the existing staff for processing of University timesheets.
- Provide back up for processing the University payroll which includes preparing payroll adjustment forms along with verifying cost center for biweekly pay accuracy including payroll adjustments and retro pay amounts. Provide back up for processing of leave payouts.
- Assist with updating departments’ data base for staff and faculty salary changes, new hires, changes to titles.
- Enter VA payroll information into the data base along with processing changes for TAS and paid salary for VA salary increases.
- Monitor the departments’ school money allocation to make sure all funds are spent.
- Assist with payroll data for budgets including salary reconciliations.
- Assist division administrators, faculty, and staff with payroll and benefit questions and problems.
- Process quarterly payments to reimburse UMMC for grant funded fellows.
- Perform advanced level review and complex analysis of accounting transactions to ensure completeness, accuracy, and conformance with uniform accounting principles and practices.
- May supervise staff. Ensure accounts are in agreement and identify variances. Investigate discrepancies to determine cause and document correction.
- Ensure details of financial transactions are recorded in journals, ledgers, and automated system by others. Examine and ensure integrity/reliability of the financial accounting system.
- Work with principal investigators, faculty, or staff members to identify potential ledger discrepancies between financial system and departmental records.
- Verify the accuracy of various internal/external financial ledgers, schedules, exhibits and summaries along with any assigned databases and ensure application of policies, procedures, and acceptable standards.
- Assist in defining and monitoring of financial critical path unit and project activities, resolve issues and escalate complex matters as needed to the appropriate contact(s).
- Utilized quantitative and qualitative approaches to develop financial forecast performance. Assist in the development of short- and long-term forecast for unit.
- Monitors and delegates assigned budgetary transactions (i.e., payroll, accounts receivable, forecasts) on a daily basis.
- Monitor and assign University parking allocations for staff and faculty. This includes parking that the department pays for monthly outside of University allocations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications Education: Bachelor’s in accounting, Finance, or Business Administration. Experience: Three (3) years of accounting related experience using Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. Preferred Certification/Licensure: Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) certification preferred. Other: Related experience may be substituted for education. Knowledge, Skills, Abilities: Knowledge of position requirements. Knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws. Skill in effective use of applicable technology/systems. Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to work cooperatively with others and independently.
Hiring Range: High 60's to High 70's (Commensurate with education and experience)
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at HRJobs@umaryland.edu.
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact HRDiversity@umaryland.edu. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.