Executive Administrative Assistant
Posted Salary Range
Commensurate with experience.
Institutional Advancement Department
Alcorn State University seeks a highly-motivated, organized,
professional team member for the position of Executive Assistant to
the Vice President for Institutional Advancement.
Reporting to the Vice President for Institutional Advancement, the
Executive Administrative Assistant is a vital member of the
Division of Institutional Advancement ( DIA ) team and provides
critical support in a fast-paced, lively and collegial atmosphere.
The Executive Administrative Assistant actively and daily performs
advanced secretarial and administrative duties in a multifaceted
environment and oversees the Scholarship program. The ideal
candidate must be an effective and agile multi-tasker with an
ability to handle sensitive and confidential information,
prioritize competing assignments and deadlines, while producing
highly accurate work.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
1. Preferred candidates must exhibit a personal knowledge and
understanding of, and operate in concert with the mission and
institutional statement of the University and the Division of
2. Commitment to excellence in all aspects of individual,
collective, and organizational performance is important.
3. Deep and abiding commitment to customer service required.
4. Knowledge of the higher education advancement enterprise, with
particular understanding of institutional advancement operations
and services for fundraising is central.
5. Advanced knowledge of modern office practices, business English,
professional dress, décor, procedures, and management principles is
6. Candidates should be analytical and creative thinkers, use data
and information effectively in planning and decision-making, and
are driven toward setting and achieving goals.
7. Knowledge of budget preparation and budget management is
8. Sophisticated computer literacy and proficiency with Microsoft
Office is required and advancement information systems with
donor/membership databases ( BANNER ) is preferred.
9. A proven ability to effectively and clearly communicate both
verbally and in writing is essential as the role includes high
visibility with students, alumni, administrators & staff,
faculty, donors and friends.
10. Proven time management skills, the ability to prioritize and
record keeping abilities is essential.
11. Skill in answering multi-line phone systems in an effective and
professional manner is required.
12. Skill in proofreading materials to ensure accuracy is
13. Ability to write correspondence, memorandums and reports in a
comprehensive manner using appropriate words, correct grammar,
punctuation and spelling to convey ideas, facts, and information
effectively and accurately.
14. A demonstrated ability to collaborate with a wide range of
people and a demonstrated ability to efficiently and effectively
solve problems and complete projects independently and timely is
15. Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality of
sensitive materials is essential.
16. Ability to anticipate the needs of the VPIA and take
appropriate initiative and action is central.
17. Ability to use judgment, tact, discretion and diplomacy, when
handling complex and confidential materials and situations is
18. Tolerance for and ability to work productively in the context
of ambiguity, uncertainty, and change is essential.
19. Must be able to travel and work outside the normal university
20. Ability to perform assigned responsibilities, duties and tasks
according to established practices and procedures with minimal to
21. Ability to perform all the essential functions of this job
Essential Job Functions
• Coordinates scholarship process including advertising,
applications, awarding and committee support.
• Provides support, assistance, advice and guidance to students,
family and others interested in identifying, applying and
maintaining financial assistance provided by the office to support
academic matriculation at the university.
• Answers telephones, makes travel arrangements; maintain
appointment calendar; create and maintain a filing system; and
proofreads all work to ensure accuracy in content and
• Schedules complex travel arrangements with Vice President’s
preferences in mind.
• Proactively troubleshoots and addresses travel conflicts.
• Represents the Vice President in communications with
administrators, staff, subordinates, students, and the university
• Oversees meeting coordination, greets guests.
• Assists with contingency planning, arranges agendas, prepares
meeting materials, etc.
• Selects meeting locations and coordinates any logistics including
catering, audio visual and parking.
• Generates detailed itineraries and coordinates any off-site
office support needs.
• Prepares accurate maintenance of minutes and reports
institutional goals and to ensure greater engagement of and
increased philanthropy from the University’s varied
• Assists in program/project development.
• Assists in planning, hosting, and supporting official
• Performs advanced diversified duties for the Vice President to
include: creating reports, drafting correspondences and agreements
• Assists with budget planning and maintenance on a daily basis for
the Vice President assuring all expenditures are authorized and
charged to correct accounts and assists in preparing budget
adjustments of all budgets assigned to the Vice President as
• Purchases items as needed through the use of the purchasing
• Prepares and processes reimbursement requests.
OTHER DUTIES :
• Prepares requested documents including Microsoft PowerPoint,
Excel spreadsheets and charts or Word documents and
• Communicates both orally and in writing in a professional manner
representative of the office and university.
• Attends necessary training classes as required and seeks out
those programs which add further support to the office.
• Maintains confidentiality in all matters related to the Vice
President including organization plans, personal affairs and
• Other related duties as assigned by the Vice President of
Institutional Advancement and/or University
A bachelor’s degree in business, communications/marketing,
accounting, education or related field required; no less than five
years’ relevant administrative experience in the public or private
sector, preferably in higher education, for-profit or
not-for-profit industry required; with demonstrated experience
supporting a senior level executive in a very brisk, team-oriented
Licensing and Certifications
Work in noisy (above 85 decibels) areas
Sedentary Work - Exerting 10 pounds
Light Work - Exerting up to 20 pounds
Medium Work - Exerting 20-50 pounds
Heavy Work - Exerting 50-100 pounds
Very Heavy Work - Exerting in excess of 100 pounds
Extended Work Hours
Posting Detail Information
Number of Vacancies
Position End Date (if temporary)
Open Until Filled
Alcorn State University does not discriminate on the basis of race,
color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age,
disability, or other factors prohibited by law in any of its
educational programs, activities, services, admissions, or
employment practices. The following offices are designated to
handle inquires and/or complaints regarding non-discriminatory
policies and procedures of Alcorn State University:
Complaints, inquiries, or specific requests in regard to Title IX
and Section 504 directives should be made to: Title IX Office,
Walter Washington Administration Bldg., Room 519A, Lorman, MS,
39096, (601) 877-6700.
Complaints, inquiries, or requests in regard to non-discrimination
in employment practices should be made to: Human Resources
Department, Walter Washington Administration Bldg., Room 107,
Lorman, MS, 39096, (601) 877-6188
Questions, complaints, or requests in regard to ADA / ADAAA
compliance in employment practices should also be made to the
department of human resources.
Excellent Benefits Package
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Letter of Recommendation (Professional)
- Letter of Recommendation (Personal)
- Letter of Recommendation (Professional or Personal)
- Writing Sample