Adjunct Faculty - Economics
Business and Entrepreneurship
Full Time or Part Time
Fixed Term/Tenure Track
Hiring Salary Range
Salary commensurate with experience and education
Job Description Summary
The instructor is responsible for the coordination, planning,
preparation, presentation, and evaluation of classroom instruction
and related activities during the day, evening, or weekend via
instructional delivery formats to include face-to-face, hybrid,
online, and remote. Face-to-face and hybrid classes may be offered
on any Prince George’s Community College campus, or at off-campus
locations. The instructor must remain current in the discipline
area and continually explore teaching methods and strategies to
engage learners, organize and plan instructional content that
accommodates diverse learning styles, and devise appropriate
assessment tools that monitor student learning outcomes. The
instructor is also responsible for participating in related
activities to include professional development, academic advising,
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- A master’s degree in economics
- 2 years of college level teaching experience
- Official documentation of credentials and degrees may be
requested; degrees are recognized only if earned at an accredited
- Mastery of course content
- Ability to provide service to diverse populations using a
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, faculty and
- Ability to plan, deliver and assess effective instruction
- Ability to teach in face to face, remote and online modalities,
- Ability to effectively use instructional technology (Internet,
instructional software, learning management system,
- Critical thinking, organization, and conflict management
- Research skills (where appropriate)
- Time management, planning and organizational skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Problem-solving and analytical ability
- Ability to teach in non-traditional formats (online, remote,
hybrid) and settings (off-campus, weekends, evenings and
- Ability to teach core introductory courses and general
education courses in economics
- Ability to perform a range of physical positions and mobile
conditions including but not limited to occasionally moving
materials 5-25 pounds.
- Knowledge of and the ability to teach, handle, and maintain art
related materials, chemicals, and equipment in a safe and
The following criteria, which are not the sole
criteria used in the final hiring decision, will be used to review
the applications of those persons who meet the stated minimum
qualifications and to select those qualified applicants who will be
interviewed. Other information and observations made during the
interview process may be considered in the selection process. A
Resume/CV and cover letter are required with the application.
Please ensure that your documents address the criteria listed below
for this position.
- Plan, organize, and teach curriculum content in conjunction
with course outcomes.
- Using applicable technology and andragogical principles, teach
course content via an appropriate delivery format (may include
face-to-face, hybrid, online, and remote instruction)
- Complete mandated institutional trainings and professional
development as required
- Follow department and division requirements for preparing a
- Facilitate appropriate instructional activities that promote
student engagement and learning.
- Evaluate student performance using assessment tools as directed
by the department; inform students in a timely manner of their
- Create and administer assessments that monitor student
progress; provide timely student feedback.
- Provide an orientation at the first- class meeting to include
(as applicable) an overview of the course syllabus, an outline of
course objectives, course requirements, attendance policy, grading
system, textbook(s), and supplemental materials.
- Notify students of key dates and course adjustments
- Comply with attendance and grading requirements as established
for the course (may include maintaining an up-to-date electronic
grade book, and entering final grades by the established due
- Maintain accurate class records; submit required class records
by the established due date
- Participate in departmental evaluation and course assessment
processes as directed.
- Follow department and division requirements for maintaining
office hours, advising students, and referring students to
- Respond to student emails and phone calls within 48 hours with
the exception of weekends and holidays. Maintain regular
communication with students. Use the assigned PGCC email for
communication with the department and with students.
- Attend all required meetings.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Must have the use of sensory skills in order to effectively
communicate and interact with other employees and the public
through the use of the telephone and personal contact as normally
defined by the ability to see, read, talk, hear, handle, or feel
objects and controls. Physical capability to effectively use and
operate various items of office related equipment, such as, but not
limited to a, personal computer, calculator, copier, and fax
machine. Some climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching,
standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, and
repetitive motions maybe required. Occasionally the ability to
physically move and lift materials 5-25 pounds maybe required. An
understanding of and the ability to teach, handle, and maintain art
related materials, chemicals, and equipment in a safe and
responsible manner is essential.
Is Background Check Required?
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written
- As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present
acceptable documentation showing your identity and that you are a
U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
- A background investigation will be conducted prior to the offer
of employment. A signed authorization for the release of personal
information will be required if selected for an interview.
Is the incumbent responsible for working with minor children or
directly engaging with minor children on campus?
Posting Detail Information
Open Until Filled
Background Check Statement
Special Instructions to Applicants
Prince George’s Community College values the safety of its
students, faculty, and staff. As part of that commitment, the
College has announced effective October 21, 2021, all students,
faculty, and staff must be vaccinated against COVID -19 or tested
for the virus weekly. As a prospective or new employee, you will be
required to comply with this mandate and all the necessary safety
protocols, including wearing a mask. Please direct your questions
related to the vaccination, testing, mask mandates, and
requirements for exemptions to VMPO@pgcc.edu .
; you will receive an email
acknowledging receipt of your application, upon which time no
further communication occurs unless selected for an interview or
the position is filled. If recommended for hire, communication is
immediately sent to your references listed on your application.
Also, you will receive an email notification from HireRight
requesting you to submit authorization to complete a background
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Master's degree in Economics?
- * Do you have 2 years of college level teaching experience?
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- HigherEd Jobs
- Hispanic Outlook
- Personal Referral
- PGCC Website
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook)
- The Chronicle of Higher Ed
- The Washington Post
- Other: Please indicate below
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity? If you
selected 'Other' please indicate source:
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2