Xavier University has adopted an enhanced mission to support the holistic, academic, and professional development needs of all students. Xavier University is seeking applicants for the position of Assistant Director, Career Development in the Division of Enrollment Management and Student Success. The Career Development Office is dedicated to serving a diverse student population and assist stakeholders (employers, faculty, campus partners) in support of all XU students with a special focus on diversity, equity and inclusion. The position reports to the Senior Assistant Director, Career Development. The focus of this position is to provide career coaching to support the professional preparation needs of students and alumni, while making connections to the value of Jesuit Catholic liberal arts education and their respective career development goals. We welcome candidates who thrive in a workplace where diverse backgrounds and perspectives are encouraged and embraced.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide career coaching including: career assessments, major and career exploration, job/experiential opportunities, graduate school planning, and professional skill development through scheduled and drop-in appointments with both individuals and groups
- Facilitate both general and major-specific career programming aligning with academic departmental needs, which may include in-class presentations, campus-wide workshops and/or student club presentations on career planning, graduate school preparation and job/internship-search topics
- Initiate and maintain partnerships with faculty and staff, educating the university community about career-related services and collaborating on career programming for students
- Serve as liaison to select academic departments within the College of Arts and Sciences, College of Social Sciences, Health, and Education and/or Williams College of Business for both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Foster relationships with department chairs and faculty in designated liaison majors. Share information with other members of the Career Development team
- Assist in the data collection of post-graduate career outcomes
- In addition to the above responsibilities, the Assistant Director would have the opportunity to focus on Employer Relations, Events, Exploratory Students or Mentoring
- Master’s Degree in Higher Education, College Student Personnel, Counseling, Human Resources, or similar field
- Previous professional experience in career development or related field
- Knowledge of career development, student development theories, research practices, and recruiting trends
- Demonstrated ability to work and communicate effectively with diverse populations of students, e.g., students of color, first generation college students, and students with disabilities, students on probation, career changers, and exploratory (undecided) majors
- Certification in MBTI or Strong Interest Inventory (those who are not yet certified will have the opportunity to become certified upon starting the position)
- 1-3 years professional experience in career development (graduate assistantships can be counted towards years of experience)
- Experience in a university career office working with diverse student populations
- Experience utilizing student information and tracking systems, such as Handshake, Symplicity, Banner, or Student Success Collaborative.
This is a 12 month, full-time position, and employee is expected to work 37.5 hours per week Monday through Friday with occasional night/weekend commitments. Xavier supports a flexible work schedule as allowed by University needs.
Salary: $ 52,305
Xavier is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment; we welcome a broad spectrum of candidates, and particularly invite applications from women, ethnic and racial minorities, and other individuals who are under-represented in the work force.
To be considered for this position, interested/qualified applicants must submit the following through the Xavier website:
- Cover letter tailored to this position which includes your interest, experience, and commitment to diversity and inclusion, as it pertains to this role. Each Assistant Director in Career Development will lead one of the following areas: Employer Relations, Events, Exploratory Students, Mentoring,
- The names and contact information of three references
Xavier University is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to enhancing equity, inclusion, and diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, skin color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
To ensure prompt consideration, applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information of three professional references on Xavier University's website by August 1, 2022. Candidates are also asked to include in their cover letter a brief statement on how they might support/contribute to Xavier’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Xavier University requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Newly hired employees will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccination upon on-boarding. Vaccine exemptions may be granted for medical or religious reasons.