**This is an on-site position. Remote workers will NOT be
You will be joining St. Thomas University (STU) at an exciting
moment! Under the dynamic leadership of President David A.
Armstrong, J.D., STU has had four consecutive years of record
enrollment and we’ve set fundraising records too. Our campus
footprint is also growing. In the past two years alone, we’ve
opened the state-of-the-art Gus Machado College of Business, a new
weight room for our student athletes, as well as a turf athletic
field, residence hall, and a student center. And, we are going to
keep growing…more students, more programs, more facilities!
As we mark our 60th Anniversary, we are setting our sights on the
future while also honoring our Cuban heritage and celebrating our
Catholic Identity. Come be a part of our diverse community! We are
seeking energetic innovators who will help us chart the course for
the University’s sixth decade of impact! Let’s work together to
attract, serve, and inspire a diverse group of students who will
leave STU prepared to be ethical leaders and change agents in our
Located in sunny Miami, Florida, St. Thomas University is a
private, non-profit university that offers 39 undergraduate,
graduate, and postgraduate degrees at its picturesque 144-acre
campus and through distance learning. Its academic offerings
include one of the oldest (and most highly ranked) undergraduate
programs in Sports Administration in the country. STU has been
ranked #1 by U.S. News & World Report in Social Mobility for
regional universities in the South, which means it takes students
from the lowest financial strata and catapults them to much higher
financial strata in only ten years. St. Thomas University is the
only Catholic Archdiocesan-sponsored university in Florida, and one
of the only eight Archdiocesan universities nationwide.
Report to the Provost of the University and Chief Academic Officer
and responsible for the overall management of the Office of the
Provost. Serve as the Secretary of the Provost’s Council and the
Academic Affairs Committee of the Board of Trustees. Perform varied
and complex administrative services for the Provost and the
Department of Academic Affairs, including interaction with
University trustees, President’s Office, and all Offices under the
divisions of Academic Affairs, Finance, and Philanthropy. Work
closely with faculty, administrators, and a wide variety of outside
contacts. Act as primary point of contact for all departmental
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as the Executive Coordinator of the Provost’s office.
Provide overall supervision, leadership and management of the
Office of the Provost including the creation of University and
departmental policies and procedures.
- Supervise office staff and work-study students; interview and
select assigned staff; conduct performance appraisals and suggest
professional development opportunities in accordance with
University policies and procedures.
- Direct all administrative support for the Provost;
troubleshoot, revise/review programmatic/departmental issues.
- Prepare and monitor the department’s budget and other academic
units’ budgets in general consultation with the Provost; act as
signatory for budget transfers/adjustments, etc.
- Conduct advanced research and prepare detailed and executive
- Responsible for insuring allocation and approval of purchasing
card transactions for all employees/departments reporting directly
to the Provost.
- Provide analysis of position vacancies and impacts on revenue
- Prepare full-time undergraduate faculty, graduate faculty, and
academic administrator contracts.
- Work closely with members of the Provost Council
- Responsible for the entire coordination of a highly
confidential departmental recordkeeping and filing system,
including receiving confidential faculty credentials, for on-ground
and adjunct faculty Responsible for insuring SACSCOC guidelines for
academic credentials are followed; independently correspond with
Deans, Office of Human Resources and other departments to insure
procedures adhere to University and SACSCOC policies and/or
- Support SACSCOC Committee(s).
- Serve on University Committee(s) as assigned.
- Manage the coordination and schedules of travel arrangements
and hotel accommodations for Provost; and prepare required purchase
order requisitions and check disbursements.
- Oversee the preparation of correspondence in final form for
- Responsible for hiring and orientation processes for new
- Provide analysis and recommendations for budget adjustments;
resolve discrepancies as required.
- Monitor and approve adjunct and overload payment paperwork for
department heads and/or deans personal reimbursement.
- Responsible for full coordination of annual faculty welcome
back and retirement events.
- Provide guidance for undergraduate and graduate commencement
activities occurring in May.
- Act as Executive Secretary for the Academic Affairs’ Committee
of the Board of Trustees. This entails notifying members of meeting
dates, formulating agendas, recording and distributing minutes,
sending out all materials regarding agenda, including voting
ballots if required for an action item.
- Special assignments as outlined by the Provost.
- Comply with departmental University safety rules and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience working for a senior executive
demonstrating a thorough knowledge and proven proficiency with
office practices and procedures, or an equivalent combination of
experience and training required.
- Higher education experience preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Above-average knowledge of MS Office (Word/Excel) essential.
Ability to create and modify spreadsheets using Excel.
- Ability to initiate, manage and complete projects.
- Prior supervisory experience required; ability to motivate
- Strong computation and analytical skills required to perform
advanced research and analysis.
- Above-average problem-solving skills required.
- Professional appearance and demeanor including experience in
meeting the public and dealing with people using tact, poise,
patience and courtesy.
- Works regularly with information requiring utmost discretion
- Must be self-starter able to work under pressure, and meet
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Miami Gardens, FL 33054: Reliably commute or planning to
relocate before starting work (Required)
- Please provide contact information for three (3) professional
- Executive Assistant: 3 years (Required)
Work Location: One location